The thread in which Phil has a new project/toy

So what do the people that live there do for work? I would imaging it was a mining town at one point.
I'd love to live in a remote place like that but how do you survive financially?

So what do the people that live there do for work? I would imaging it was a mining town at one point.
I'd love to live in a remote place like that but how do you survive financially?

A large part of the town supports tourism. Lots of hotels. There is still mining (Robinson Mine, KGHM). Employs probably about 600 people. And there is a max security Nevada State prison just outside of town, that employs quite a few. Then add in all the support (tire shops, auto repair, etc.) and you get a population of 4200, which still ain't much. lol.

I probably wouldn't settle down in a desert-type town but the remote-ness of a town "like" that has lots of appeal. That particular town might be a little too off the grid for me but I can sure see why people would want to live there

Installed my steering box brace this morning. Not too bad, only had to drill one hole in the crossmember. The braces help keep the frame from cracking under the added stress of big tires.

Installed the locker this morning.

Before

After

I'm really happy with it so far. Driven it around town some, and it really isn't very intrusive at all. If you take a really tight corner you can hear it ratcheting, but not very loud. Then if you hit the gas, it locks instantly. I'm pretty pleased.

Very nice. I guess you didn't run into any major problems with the install?

No, it was pretty straightforward. I did change the rear drum brakes at the same time though, since I had pulled the axles out. That sucked donkey balls. It was 10 times harder than the differential. hahaha

Went on a night run last night, friend of mine showed up with his 'burban, squarebodies represent! That Suburban is a beast. It's been over Metal Masher in Moab. Full 1 ton running gear, and a Chevy LS motor swap. It's very cool. Being a night run though this is about it for pics. haha

Reactions: Tig
Yeah, I think that was my 13th trail I have been on so far. Hopefully one day we can get both our rigs out on one!

We were talking today about when we were going to drive out west.

We're going to New Mexico in 2 weeks, and after that, we'll start planning the road trip.

We're thinking maybe May 2017, but we'll see.

We were talking today about when we were going to drive out west.

We're going to New Mexico in 2 weeks, and after that, we'll start planning the road trip.

We're thinking maybe May 2017, but we'll see.

Awesome. We'll scratch our stuff up.

Well, today I'm spending the day packing and getting my truck ready, for tomorrow morning I'm headed for Moab!

Back