The thread in which Phil has a new project/toy

lol, thanks.

There is a guy on the K5 website that has the 4:10 guts out of a 14 bolt, the whole carrier, pinion with housing (on the 14 bolt the pinion is actually in a separate housing that bolts into the pumpkin). So I'm negotiating with him to see if he can send me the whole thing. I might be able to swap it out without having to go through the whole gear setup kerfuffle. Fingers crossed.

So, I went out with the heep herd again today. Had a great time. Wayyyyy too hot though, it was pretty rough. But the trails were great.

Arrived at the meeting place, I'm always first for some reason.

At keyhole canyon, this dude scared the living crap out of a couple of the group that almost stepped on him.

Some of the petroglyphs.

Couple members walking up keyhole canyon

Cool waterfall feature.

Trail took us all the way down to the Colorado River.

Numbnuts in a Navigator got stuck.

Aired up with my badass compressor.

Some vids, I know most of this is pretty boring, but I'd like to look back on it sometime.

Went on a solo run today, made a couple more videos. Check out the first minute of the first video. Yikes!!!!

Man, I'm jealous. I'm jealous of your rig, and I'm jealous of all the nice trails you have close by.

When's your Moab trip?

Man, I'm jealous. I'm jealous of your rig, and I'm jealous of all the nice trails you have close by.

When's your Moab trip?

Thanks, I'm really enjoying it. The really great part about living here is the easy access to lots of trails, and lots of stuff to see, too.

The Moab trip is September 8-11. I'm looking forward to that immensely. I'm also going on a trip the last weekend of this month with the jeep guys to Ely, Nevada. 3 days of off roading that should be up in the trees, which should at least be cooler. lol.

Each year, the off road club I'm in (Nevada Backroaders) meets up with their sister club (White Pine 4 Wheelers) in Ely, Nevada for a weekend. This was my first time going.

Ely is about as remote a town in the U.S. as you can get. The nearest Wal Mart is 190 miles away! There is pretty much nothing for hours in each direction. There are practically no major chain stores, save gas stations and one McDonalds. The road to Ely from Vegas is about 4 1/2 hours of the most desolate areas most have ever seen. In light of this, I picked up 4 new belts, upper and lower radiator hoses, and thermostat to add to my spares box. If you like the desert, it's a beautiful drive, but there is a lot of nothingness.

I left Thursday morning. There was a meet and greet scheduled in Ruth, NV (about 20 minutes outside of Ely) for that evening, so I had the afternoon to myself. I decided to visit the Northen Nevada Railroad museum. It has 2 operational steam engines, as well as 2 classic diesel engines. The machine shop is manned and operational, and they still run the trains, more on that later.

Some pics from the museum.

Working on one of the diesel engines

Everything was left pretty pristine. Records back to 1906

There was also a small museum in town that I visited.

A steam powered well drilling machine

A barbeque was planned for each night (Thurs, Fri, Sat), with all the food provided by the club. We just brought our own drinks. The meets were held at Geno's house in Ruth, Nevada. About 20 minutes outside of Ely. It is a small community of houses and 1 bar. The town is there to support the Robinson open-pit copper mine. The owner of the house, Geno, and one other member of the club actually work at the mine.

One of the folks showed up in a pretty cool rat rod.

Each day two trips were planned, we got to choose which one. On Friday, I chose the trip to the summit of Mount Washington. The mountain had a couple of zinc mines in the past, with stuff to see. It was a heckuva road to the top. 42 switchbacks up the face to get to the ridge. The summit was 11,648 feet, with the highest place to park at 11,400. I was proud of the truck, it ran perfect all the way to the top.

Meeting before the run.

The jeep you see there belongs to the guy in the black T shirt facing away from us. He is the President of the Blue Ribbon Coalition, the group trying to keep our trails open. He is also the son of Geno, the man that hosted the barbeques. You'll see more of Geno later.

The white JK you see in this picture may look familiar if you have watched any of the Wayalife videos on youtube. He's gone on many of the JK experience runs.

That peak right there is where we are headed.

Last edited:

A core sample left from the mining operation.

Apparently these buildings were a staging area to swap out horses halfway down, as they would be pretty worn out.

Rain in the distance.

Back