The thread in which Phil has a new project/toy

It was fun, it was very rainy for most of the day, which made things difficult. I would have liked to explore more. Now that I know where they are, I can go back when it's sunny.

This went waaaay back in there, the group got impatient and wanted to leave, so I didn't get too far, but I did go quite a ways in. I have some video I'll try to upload later.

Remains of a couple smaller buildings. There are remains of larger ones, but it started pouring, so we couldn't walk to them. I'll be back though for sure!

Well. Apparently my rear pinion seal decided it didn't want any of that pesky fluid in the diff anymore. :embarrassed:

Looks like I have plans for Friday.

Yikes. That's a pretty drastic failure. Glad you caught it before the dif disassembled itself!

You just going to do the seal, or, while the driveshaft is disconnected anyway, are you going to put in the locker?

:poke:

Hahahaha. Funny you should mention that. I wanted to, but since this is my first pinion seal, and it's not super easy to do, i thought what if i drive off and it's making a bunch of noise? I won't know if it's the locker I put in, or something I goofed up with the pinion. So I figure it's best to do them separately, just in case.

It's really touchy to get the squish right on the pinion crush sleeve. You are supposed to use an inch pound torque wrench, which I don't have, and they aren't cheap.

There is a way to do it by marking the pinion, nut, yoke, and housing, and putting it back together so they all line up, with possibly a hair more turn on the pinion nut.

I'm gonna go with that and cross my fingers. I need this to hold together a bit longer before I do the 1 ton swap, I don't have the bucks for that yet.

I was mostly joking about the locker.

I haven't done a pinion seal either. Mine weeps a little, but not enough for me too tear into it.

When I was thinking about doing it, most of the DIYers suggested marking the nut, yoke, and housing.

Last edited:
I was mostly joking about the locker.

I haven't done a pinion seal either. Mine weeps a little, but not enough for me too year into it.

When I was thinking about doing it, most of the DIYers suggested marking the nut, yoke, and housing.

Yup, that's exactly my plan. And I did think about the locker. But I don't trust my work. lol.

Videos from my trip yesteday. If anyone is interested. Youtube might get pissy about my music choices, so we'll see how long they stay up. lol

So, I'm starting the process to change over to the 1 ton axle. Am gathering the parts to convert my front axle to 8 lug to match, and am going to change it over to crossover steering, regear it, and put a locker in the front at the same time.

However, sadly, when I started tearing into the 14 bolt rear, I found that instead of the 4:10 ratio they told me it was, it's a 3:73. UGH!!!!!

Guess I'm going to have to learn how to regear a ring and pinion after all.

Good luck!

My Jeep fund is pretty much non existent now, but I hope that in the next year or so it'll get built back up.

Until then, I'll live vicariously.

Back