The thread in which Phil has a new project/toy

i had a 1991 suburban 4x4 that i converted the suspension to 1 ton, left the 10 bolts on it and went to 36" tires and 4.56 gears. ran fine. i didn't rock climb it, but mud was not a problem. at the time is was making pretty good money and i was a construction manager on interstate bridge jobs, so there were a lot of muddy places i needed to get to and i didn't feel like walking 100 yards in the f'ing mud 4-6 times a day.....so.

i don't think you need the big axles unless you plan on doing hard core four wheeling. playing on some rock (not crazy shit) doesn't require heavier duty axles.....just good gears and tires and wheel clearance.

i don't know if i would take those kinds of chances on a truck as nice as yours. if i were gonna play on the rocks i would look into getting a beater wrangler and cut the wheel wells. but then again, i don't have the $$ for that either.

i had a 1991 suburban 4x4 that i converted the suspension to 1 ton, left the 10 bolts on it and went to 36" tires and 4.56 gears. ran fine. i didn't rock climb it, but mud was not a problem. at the time is was making pretty good money and i was a construction manager on interstate bridge jobs, so there were a lot of muddy places i needed to get to and i didn't feel like walking 100 yards in the f'ing mud 4-6 times a day.....so.

i don't think you need the big axles unless you plan on doing hard core four wheeling. playing on some rock (not crazy shit) doesn't require heavier duty axles.....just good gears and tires and wheel clearance.

i don't know if i would take those kinds of chances on a truck as nice as yours. if i were gonna play on the rocks i would look into getting a beater wrangler and cut the wheel wells. but then again, i don't have the $$ for that either.

All good points. I'll most likely regear the 10 bolts, and then down the road if I start busting stuff I can upgrade then.

Well, I'm three days away from owning the Maiden for one year. We celebrated by passing smog with flying colors. Not bad for a 28 year old truck. I put a new set of plugs in before, but probably didn't even need that, I just wanted to see how the cylinders were looking.

Yay!

Went on another run with the Jeep crew today. I love the desert. First thing we did was climb up to a tower, the view was stunning. And I gotta say, I think it is so cool I have something other than a Jeep. I like being different. And the Blazer does really well. 2 hour freeway ride to and from, plus all the off road, and not a hiccup.

Nice.

My Jeep fund has dwindled to almost nothing (relatively speaking) due to recent unforeseen expenses.

The good news is that it should get replenished fairly quickly.

I hope.

Nice.

My Jeep fund has dwindled to almost nothing (relatively speaking) due to recent unforeseen expenses.

The good news is that it should get replenished fairly quickly.

I hope.

Yeah, I know how that goes. I'm pretty much done spending for awhile I think.

There are a couple things I'd still like to do. The shackle flip to get rid of the lift blocks, and brace the steering box, they sometime develop cracks in the frame where the box is mounted when you go to big tires.

Other than that, for the time being I'd like to start accumulating some spare parts and some camping gear.

Well, sorta some action pics. This was going up a pretty good hill, but looks like I'm on a driveway. Wish I could take action pics of myself. lol. Did get a bit of a bloody nose today. :grin:

Weird place, huh? haha. The trail went RIGHT next to a rock wall. Had to pull in the passenger mirror. My drivers side rear went over a large rock, and tipped me into the wall.

Got a couple other smaller rock rashes, but that was the biggest one. I'm not worried about it, it's what I got the truck for. It did me proud, I went through some intense stuff.

Besides, in September I'm going to Moab, I'll probably do worse damage there. haha.

Nice hat. :embarrassed:

But seriously - that was a great buy and the work you put into it is paying off big time. Congrats!

Nice hat. :embarrassed:

But seriously - that was a great buy and the work you put into it is paying off big time. Congrats!

Yeah, no style points for the hat. But baseball hats don't cut it out here, i gotta keep sun off the ears too. lol.

And thanks, I really am loving the truck. I have paint left over, I can patch it up if I feel the need.

Besides, in September I'm going to Moab, I'll probably do worse damage there. haha.

Yeah, there are some pretty heinous trails in Moab. We couldn't go on any of the really bad ones due to us being in a rental. There was a list of forbidden trails on the rental agreement. Trails with names like Metal Grinder. We stayed on the east stuff.

White Rim Trail is easy, but beautiful and fun. I highly recommend it.

Yeah, there are some pretty heinous trails in Moab. We couldn't go on any of the really bad ones due to us being in a rental. There was a list of forbidden trails on the rental agreement. Trails with names like Metal Grinder. We stayed on the east stuff.

White Rim Trail is easy, but beautiful and fun. I highly recommend it.

Cool, this will be my first visit there, I'll put that one on the list!

Cool, this will be my first visit there, I'll put that one on the list!

Moab is a lovely town. I would love to live there. I went the last two years in a row and the first year I did Fins and Things trail I highly recomend that one, actually i only did part of it because the previous day I had to get winched out of a hole near Silverton , Colorado on Mineral Creek trail, I had wedged my passenger trire against a boulder and it knocked by steering wheel out about 60 degrees but being solid axle front I just adjusted the deag link on the side of the road near Ouray. Anyway being alone and the previous close call I didn't want to push my luck so I only did a section of it. I will say from my experience that the Moab trail ratings are somewhat underestimated so anything over a 3 is getting gnarly and 4 plus you have potential for vehichle damage. There was a couple slick rock departure where it was lamost literally straight down with no slop if that makes sense and I was actually standing on my brake pedal off the seat.

Last year I went out to Chicken Corners (very very beautiful area, highly recommended) except my exhaust pipe broke at the hange so I had to bailing wire it and drove back to town. BTW if you need any work while there go to OTR Tire and Auto repair....awesome dudes and they did great work, cheap, fast and friendly. Also hit up Wicked Brew coffee on the south end of town, it's adrive through place, get your self the "rock out with your Spock out Bumper sticker.

IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
Shoot.jpeg

lol, thanks, I'm pretty excited about it. I'll be going with a lot of guys that have a lot of experience there, and are very helpful, it's a good group.

That said, some dents won't surprise me.

Moab is a lovely town. I would love to live there. I went the last two years in a row and the first year I did Fins and Things trail I highly recomend that one, actually i only did part of it because the previous day I had to get winched out of a hole near Silverton , Colorado on Mineral Creek trail, I had wedged my passenger trire against a boulder and it knocked by steering wheel out about 60 degrees but being solid axle front I just adjusted the deag link on the side of the road near Ouray. Anyway being alone and the previous close call I didn't want to push my luck so I only did a section of it

Any pics of said rig?

Back