The thread in which Phil has a new project/toy

So, just for grins, I decided to to a total so far.

Truck, Lift Kit, Tires, Paint, Sliders, Front Bumper (with powdercoat), Winch, and Locker total out to $7470.

Misc stuff like the Compressor, Tire Deflator, New Door Seals, Center Console, Dash Cover, Rear Window Crank, add another $520.

$7990 into it so far. A squeak under 8 grand. Not too shabby.

wow....i don't think i ever noticed (or don't remember) your blazer being a 4 speed.
is it an NP-465 with the granny low?
i don't know if i've EVER seen a blazer with a factory 4 speed.

wow....i don't think i ever noticed (or don't remember) your blazer being a 4 speed.
is it an NP-465 with the granny low?
i don't know if i've EVER seen a blazer with a factory 4 speed.

Yep, a 465 with the granny. It is pretty rare, I haven't come across another one. It's odd for a US Geological Survey truck, you'd think the gubment would buy automatics.

But I'm really glad I got this one, as soon as I saw it in the ad, I jumped on it.

Yep, a 465 with the granny. It is pretty rare, I haven't come across another one. It's odd for a US Geological Survey truck, you'd think the gubment would buy automatics.

But I'm really glad I got this one, as soon as I saw it in the ad, I jumped on it.
well the USGS may have WANTED the granny low.....they have to get into some pretty hairy places, sometimes.

having been on survey crews for the first 7 years of my engineering career.....granny low is a GOOD thing. just sayin'

having been on survey crews for the first 7 years of my engineering career.....granny low is a GOOD thing. just sayin'

Absolutely! However, with a 3.42/1 gear ratio, and 35 inch tires, I kinda screwed that up. But the granny is still really low, too low to use on the street. BTW, the granny low is non-synchro in the 465, so it's not super easy to hit unless you are at a dead stop.

I'm debating regearing my axles. I can go to 4.10's, or just live with it and convert to 1 ton axles down the road. Which means going to 8 lug wheels, etc. . .

Follow up. lol.

Changing my axle ratio right now would run close to 2000 bucks. Which would leave me with half ton axles, which in all likelihood would be fine.

I have a 1 ton rear axle sitting on the ground at work. The front would run about 1600. They already have the low ratio. So I would be done, and have 1 ton axles.

BUT. I would need 8 lug 16 inch rims, which would make my current tires obsolete. And there is the reduced ground clearance of the 1 ton differentials, so I'd probably move up to 37 inch tires. Which would require some cutting on my fenders.

It's a quandry. lol. I'm taking it to Moab in September. How it does there on the 10 bolt axles will probably make my decision for me.

Back