The stressful lives of older tech workers.

In order to make room for our replacements in India, a really intelligent co-worker and I were layed off yesterday. I knew this was a possibility, but didn't expect it so soon, hoping they would go after the higher priced people in our group that don't do nearly as much work.. I voiced a few concerns (jabs on the new company culture, the booger picker HAZMAT guy, the 2 hour lunches some get away with, etc.) in the exit interview without shooting myself in the foot. I left on good terms because you never know.

So today I applied for a newly opened position in the eDiscovery group in the same company, just feet from where I used to sit. I get along with everyone there really well and the manager likes me. I can't expect anything so I'll start the ever so fun of job hunting in a town that has layed off thousands in the last 12 month due to low oil prices.

Good times. :-\
That bites. Hope you get a quick turnaround on the gig.

Reactions: Tig
In order to make room for our replacements in India, a really intelligent co-worker and I were layed off yesterday. I knew this was a possibility, but didn't expect it so soon, hoping they would go after the higher priced people in our group that don't do nearly as much work.. I voiced a few concerns (jabs on the new company culture, the booger picker HAZMAT guy, the 2 hour lunches some get away with, etc.) in the exit interview without shooting myself in the foot. I left on good terms because you never know.

So today I applied for a newly opened position in the eDiscovery group in the same company, just feet from where I used to sit. I get along with everyone there really well and the manager likes me. I can't expect anything so I'll start the ever so fun of job hunting in a town that has layed off thousands in the last 12 month due to low oil prices.

Oy. Job mojo.

Job mojo

And, BTW, don't ever say anything other than general, objective facts during an exit interview. As much as HR people may paint it as a way to improve things, it is nothing more that an attempt to get a heads up on anything you might be able to do to cause problems down the road. Anything negative will only haunt you.

Just found out one of my long-time colleagues got laid off this week also. :(

Very gloomy atmosphere we got goin here right now.

Meanwhile, the man behind the curtain:
As President & CEO at ___ INC, _________ made $6,547,558 in total compensation. Of this total $538,474 was received as a salary, $1,000,000 was received as a bonus, $0 was received in stock options, $4,637,415 was awarded as stock and $371,669 came from other types of compensation.

Good thing I'm not a psycho.
31ibTw4kSpL.jpg

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the man behind the curtain:
As President & CEO at ___ INC, _________ made $6,547,558 in total compensation. Of this total $538,474 was received as a salary, $1,000,000 was received as a bonus, $0 was received in stock options, $4,637,415 was awarded as stock and $371,669 came from other types of compensation.

Good thing I'm not a psycho.

At least his stock is getting hammered. :facepalm:

The well is gonna dry up pretty fast if he can't figure out how to get some work in here.

Sorry to hear, hopefully land something new quickly.

Job mojo brother.

Mojo.

Mojo, my friend. I worked for a BIG ( GCI ) media company for 20+ years and in 2014 they made almost everyone reapply for jobs that paid less and were basically 24-7. You were an entrepreneur, but they own everything you do. I cheerily told them to fuck off.

Back