The stressful lives of older tech workers.

My accounting degree has so far insulated me from some of this, because it means that I have (or at least can purport to have) general business knowledge that is valued...

They are now interviewing candidates in Chennai.

4mq9u2G.gif

And more interviews this week. :facepalm:
Meanwhile, the manager who is doing this is also attending deacon classes at his church. How does one reconcile their religion while sneakily shitting on the people who have spent years making personal sacrifices in order to make him look good and get promoted?

:annoyed:

Meanwhile, the manager who is doing this is also attending deacon classes at his church. How does one reconcile their religion while sneakily shitting on the people who have spent years making personal sacrifices in order to make him look good and get promoted?

The overtly religious aren't immune to the effects of hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance.

Very much the opposite, in fact.

Reactions: Tig
I submitted my resume with another company (and large sporting goods retailer) last week. A recruiter contacted a friend looking for someone with my skill set. There are some differences in what they do there but it is in development methods, not the core programming. I was hoping to have heard something by now aside from the manager reviewing my resume. I think they are waiting for more applicants. The good thing is I don't need the job so if their benefits or pay are not several steps above what I have here I can say no. And if I don't get the position no big deal either. I think I am safe here one or two more years. Hopefully longer but there are other reasons to leave.

By teaching them they're not perfect simply forgiven. No bullshit.

I see this in my own company which is a medical manufacturer. Many of the older IT people have left for other positions in the company or leave to somewhere else (unsure where). I know in my department that we have brought on a few from our IT group. Some of our electromechanical products are now networked and that is pretty much the future. It is also obvious that staff will support more than just IT based systems.

Last edited:
Most companies I know who have outsourced programming overseas have had a lot of problems. And generally the headaches are not worth the cost savings.

Most companies I know who have outsourced programming overseas have had a lot of problems. And generally the headaches are not worth the cost savings.
We've off shored a lot of hardware builds too, and those come with a ton of problems too. The quality of Chinese built electronics is terrible. We probably spent more in sending engineers over there to solve the problems than we saved in labor costs.

They do eventually when they have to hire US Based software consultant firms at $200 an hour to fix the mess that was created. But on paper the idea works great.

When our replacements screw up something, it will likely cost the company millions in damages and SOX fines. I'll be watching from my spot under the bridge. :wink:
GIF-fuck-you-laugh-laughing-Fred-Rogers-Screw-you-Middle-Finger-Pointing-Finger-GIF.gif

Last edited:
As a 52 year old sysadmin/hardware/windows/mac/unix/networking/server/whatever guy I read that article and realize I'm likely expendable. My advantages is I look young for my age and I also love technology so will quite frequently geek out on the latest tech but have the advantage of remembering all the old stuff. Consequently, I'm sort of this guy that everyone in the office asks questions about this or that obscure bit of tech that they either never encountered or forgot. I've even trained in my boss on some things sometimes. That's the advantage I guess but my wife seems to think I can just get a job anywhere not knowing about the ageism rampant in tech. If I find myself jobless I'll have to use every contact I can to get an in somewhere.

They do eventually when they have to hire US Based software consultant firms at $200 an hour to fix the mess that was created. But on paper the idea works great.

They’re lucky if it goes that well. I know a guy who’s on his third round of former-Soviet bloc coders and his application is ten years old and eight years overdue for an update. All he has to show for it is a single-platform alpha build. His competitors have left him in the dust and if he ever gets a new working version to market it’s unlikely to sell. If he’d just hired a reasonably priced midwestern programmer in 2006 he’d still have a near-monopoly on his market.

As a 52 year old sysadmin/hardware/windows/mac/unix/networking/server/whatever guy I read that article and realize I'm likely expendable. My advantages is I look young for my age and I also love technology so will quite frequently geek out on the latest tech but have the advantage of remembering all the old stuff. Consequently, I'm sort of this guy that everyone in the office asks questions about this or that obscure bit of tech that they either never encountered or forgot. I've even trained in my boss on some things sometimes. That's the advantage I guess but my wife seems to think I can just get a job anywhere not knowing about the ageism rampant in tech. If I find myself jobless I'll have to use every contact I can to get an in somewhere.
Learn networking and get good at managing Cisco gear. Good Cisco guys are getting to be rare. If you've got good chops in that world, nobody cares how old you are.

Not a tech worker but I work over the internet and my main contract just found another way to slash pay rates. Looks like my bank account will be going in the wrong direction for the first time in two years.

Thanks, Bowie.

In order to make room for our replacements in India, a really intelligent co-worker and I were layed off yesterday. I knew this was a possibility, but didn't expect it so soon, hoping they would go after the higher priced people in our group that don't do nearly as much work.. I voiced a few concerns (jabs on the new company culture, the booger picker HAZMAT guy, the 2 hour lunches some get away with, etc.) in the exit interview without shooting myself in the foot. I left on good terms because you never know.

So today I applied for a newly opened position in the eDiscovery group in the same company, just feet from where I used to sit. I get along with everyone there really well and the manager likes me. I can't expect anything so I'll start the ever so fun of job hunting in a town that has layed off thousands in the last 12 month due to low oil prices.

Good times. :-\

That sucks Tig, I hope you find something better soon.

It's time to fix up my resume also. I don't know what there's going to be for me here when the current couple of projects wrap up.

Back