The Story Of The Fender Jaguar

I am a fan of the jag. The old one i had was really nice, and sounded incredible. The short scale helped it play like the les Paul, which i prefer, but it of course had its own sound.

I am a fan of the jag. The old one i had was really nice, and sounded incredible. The short scale helped it play like the les Paul, which i prefer, but it of course had its own sound.
I think the only older jag that I've played was a 1967 Fender XII, which isn't reallu the same thing.

I love Jags. The pickups and vibrato are perfect for what I do. The bodies are a little big on my small frame, so I had to get some guy to put the pickup s and vibrato on a Duo Sonic body. I wish I could remember who that was again. :grin:

I was never interested in Jags or Jazzmasters until I was in the Tom Petty tribute. Analyzing Mike Campbell's playing and then hearing the sound of the instrument made me interested in trying one. Now I like them but like all instruments, one needs to mate with the instrument for maximum playability.

My son has the Blacktop Jag with P90s and tune-o-matic bridge, so I guess it's a Jag in shape only but it's a damn comfy guitar to play.

I think the affordable Squier VM ones look tasty, and they have the correct vibrato configuration. Pickups shouldn't be half bad either, or so they say.

Cool! Thanks for sharing the link.

I've had several Jaguars over the years (a couple of MIJ 60s reissues [the 66 Reissue was an especially nice guitar], a CP, a Blacktop, and 2 VMs). Jaguars (along with Gretsches, and good Teles) are "I can't get over them" guitars for me - sooner or later, if I have to get rid of a Jaguar, I end up buying another one to replace it. They're comfy to play, and are cool and unique sounding, both clean and dirty. I just bought another CP Jaguar yesterday online, to replace the Squier VM one I sold to help deal with a money crunch a few months ago.

I think the affordable Squier VM ones look tasty, and they have the correct vibrato configuration. Pickups shouldn't be half bad either, or so they say.

They're nice guitars IMO (but if you're turned off by basswood, don't get one - they have basswood bodies). The SD designed pickups sound very good. If it weren't for the fact that my nickel allergy caused dermatitis is forcing me to have my guitars refretted (since most guitars have nickel frets) with hypoallergenic fret wire, I might have gotten another one, but considering that a refret costs almost as much as a new Squier VM Jaguar, I really couldn't economically justify getting one. MIA Vintage reissues are also great guitars, but more than I can afford at this time. The CPs, I can afford, and are easier for me to justify getting refretted than the Squier VMs. I had one a few years ago, and it was a nice guitar. So, a CP it is.

Thanks for the info. I owned a 62 back in the 80's. I got it at a music store in Riverside Ca. cheap because the previous owner had done a red spray can job on the body. I took it to Wayne Charvel who had a shop in the area at the time and he did a refinish in nitro for me. In spite of that I still never really bonded with it and sold it a few years later without regrets. Never the less when I see what the old ones are selling for these days I could kick myself for not holding on to it.

Last edited:
Back