The slow, secret death of the six-string electric.

Good read

Guitar has had its ups and downs but its also been around for centuries. I don't see it dying...but retailers might be worried that their crap isn't selling.

It may come back around when the next wave of Dads and Moms want something to do at home. But maybe not too.
I hear ya. GAS will always be there,but time and money in lessons and practice are more important.

That said I still want an ASAT Classic.

Have you ever played in front of say a 7 year old.? Every time I have it peaks their interest in playing some instrument.

If schools could do more in this area it would help kids so much
We had after school lessons in 5 or so different instruments. The classes were always full.

Last edited:
The company I work for is more band & orchestra oriented, but we do some guitar business. I know we sell a lot more acoustic guitars and ukes than we do electrics, and its been that way for a few years now.

I saw that article earlier today.

All things go in and out of style. Shit, folks were selling accordions door to door in the 1960's and plenty of amps came with accordion inputs as well as "mic" and "guitar".

middle aged to old often male guitarists are realizing that buying new gear will not make them better. I myself am in that place. I don't need more electric guitars. I need to practice, and take lessons for assistance would be better use of money.
the last Strat i bought, a couple years back, i did so not because i thought it would make play better, but because i WANTED that model and it DID make me sound a little different, because of the pickups.

but i get what you're saying. a LOT of people buy new (or used) gear to make the play better (in their minds). and in a way it does, a little bit, but only because they're all caught up in the new gear and they play it all the time, which is actually what's helping them play better.

the last Strat i bought, a couple years back, i did so not because i thought it would make play better, but because i WANTED that model and it DID make me sound a little different, because of the pickups.

but i get what you're saying. a LOT of people buy new (or used) gear to make the play better (in their minds). and in a way it does, a little bit, but only because they're all caught up in the new gear and they play it all the time, which is actually what's helping them play better.
Yah, I hear you there. But I have the spectrum of sound/pickup palette covered well enough. About the only thing I might still really want would be a real jazz box. But my semi-hollow is close enough for how much I am currently playing.

Yah, I hear you there. But I have the spectrum of sound/pickup palette covered well enough. About the only thing I might still really want would be a real jazz box. But my semi-hollow is close enough for how much I am currently playing.
yea....the only thing i REALLY want, beside an actual 1957 Strat, is a Tone King Imperial Mk II. rolleyes1
well....that and a wheel barrow full of gold bricks....rotflmao

Or, after @PunkKitty , an orange Affinity. Or surf green sx. Or something else I don't need.
I thought about an sx.
I played an Affinity that I liked a lot.
Gunmetal finish, rosewood board.

There is a shop 2 blocks away that has an ASAT CLASSIC Tribute that just haunts me though. One day it will be mine.
I could trade me Epi 339Pro and add cash,but I love that Epi.

I thought about an sx.
I played an Affinity that I liked a lot.
Gunmetal finish, rosewood board.

There is a shop 2 blocks away that has an ASAT CLASSIC Tribute that just haunts me though. One day it will be mine.
I could trade me Epi 339Pro and add cash,but I love that Epi.
ASATs are nice.

Reading that article and considering it, I am one of the ones they are thinking about. For 8-10 years or so, I was buying guitars, amps and effects, adding to my palette. Haven't been for the last year or two. I still play, but I am more just using what I have for the most part. I bet that is not unlike a lot of guys in my Dad rock category. I don't like to think of myself in that way, but in a broad brush way, I have to admit it. I am still playing though. Just don't need another 6 string electric to do it.

ASATs are nice.

Reading that article and considering it, I am one of the ones they are thinking about. For 8-10 years or so, I was buying guitars, amps and effects, adding to my palette. Haven't been for the last year or two. I still play, but I am more just using what I have for the most part. I bet that is not unlike a lot of guys in my Dad rock category. I don't like to think of myself in that way, but in a broad brush way, I have to admit it. I am still playing though. Just don't need another 6 string electric to do it.
Same here,dom't need it.
My Epi and Agile LP cover most of what I play. The ASAT or a Tele wout just give me another sound option.

It isn't a need,just GAS.

The reason is that guitar music is not developing anymore, it´s just retarded. People playing guitar are still talking about Jímmy Page and blues, that happened some 50 years ago. The only guitar music still developing is death metal, but how many are interested in it? There are also some few freeform guitarists around who try new things, but you can never post a freeform clip at a guitar forum - I have experience with that and will not do it again. No one is interested, people are happy with Jimmy Page and blues.

It will never happen again in the same way. When most of us were young, there were three, maybe four TV stations, top-40 radio was in its prime, and the entire generation had essentially the same cultural references. Now, with an entire universe of electronic entertainment to choose from there is no longer the sort of common experiences and touchstones that bind together an entire generation. I believe that rock and roll (as the beat of a generation) was a phenomena pretty unique to the mid- late- 20th century.

Back