The Right Pedalboard for the Right Occasion

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
So I played a gig this past Friday with Sideways Down who I sit in with from time to time. They play primarily 60-70's Classic Rock with some 80's thrown in there plus a couple of 90's tunes. Normally I use my Country/Rock board to play with them. It has all of the right pedals to carry me through their whole set with no issues.

7 - Done - S.jpg

So instead I used my GP board for the night.

2014 - S.jpg

Talk about having pedal issues with sounds and all - what a cluster fuck I went through. While similar in what the functionality of each pedal does, each pedal does have a unique sound and purpose. The drives on my GP board serve great for playing the whole gamut of sounds but with compromises. The Country/Rock board is perfect for what Sideways Down does.

So moving on with this conversation. I have an audition in 2 weeks for a corporate band type project. The 6 tunes I am being auditioned with are:

1) Stop Dragging my Heart Around – Tom Petty & Stevie Nicks
2) Heartbreaker – Pat Benatar
3) Just a Girl – No Doubt
4) Because the Night – Patty Smith
5) Brass in Pocket – The Pretenders
6) Only the Lonely – The Motels

I am actually thinking of using my Mike Campbell board for this one. I need to clean it up though. It will be the first time that I use the DL4 (MC used the DL4) with it. It is really funny how certain songs go with only certain pedal types. I know with the MC board, 5 of the listed tunes are no issue. I will need to compromise on the No Doubt tune but may have some type of patch in the MM4 to create the off eq'd sound.

Our fearless leader @Mark Wein has done numerous changes to his board to confirm with certain sounds that he hears and needs for his gigs. I also know that Mark does like to experiment as well.

So with that said, how do you handle your pedal sounds regarding:

1) Song type
2) Artists rendition
3) Compromise
4) Other

I don't try to get too close to any one sound. I have a good heavy crunch, a good medium crunch, clean and boosted clean sounds available to me. My fuzz pedal is more for fun. The compressor gets worked quite a bit for country style lead tones and the occasional rhythm part. It gets real easy to go down the rabbit hole for me trying to match everything when it ultimately doesn't matter for a working cover band...tribute bands are something completely different but there are so many sounds I would need to have available that there wouldn't be any time for actually making music.

I don't know if I count because I have never really done the cover band thing and even when I have been in bands that played a few covers, we never tried to sound like the actual band. We always sounded like our band playing the tune. I have a bunch of pedals, but if I were actually gigging, it would probably be a minimal setup. Probably guitar, amp and 1 or 2 dirt pedals.

"Bring only what you need to survive." - Lone Star

I can get through most any gig with my PRS, Double Pickle Drive, Echorec, and Allen Encore.

Back