The "Releasing a new independent album" checklist.

That's a start. Once you have a draft of all the facts you want to get across, you can pass it around to some friends to "soften" it up.

Here are some ideas to write about:
What albums have you worked on before?
Why did you decide to do this album?
What do you hope to do with this album?
Are you going to perform the songs at shows around OC?
Mention Premier Music and the book.
Do you want to mention any specific influences?
Where will people be able to buy it?

And there's a lot more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Will all this be on the test?
2012-8-14-arnold-horshack.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2014-1-8_11-47-49.jpeg
    upload_2014-1-8_11-47-49.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 63
Thanks! I'll work on that this afternoon....this is definitely one of my weak spots....
I'd think of it in terms of adding some credibility for yourself--you've got all the data, but you'll want to include information about yourself to tell them why they should care. Mark played ___ years with Felt, appeared on albums with ___ and ____, and so on.

We're looking at targeting our press releases for an upcoming album to hit the specific press we're sending it to. Kind of like a cover letter on a resume, you want to link your project to their interest. So, for the local paper, you'll want to play up the fact that you're a townie act, for the blues magazine, you'll play up that, etc.

OK...anyone want to check this out for me?

Mark Wein is proud to announce the release of his first solo album “Black Market Hearts”. Using Marks’ love of traditional Blues, Rock, Soul and New Orleans styles of music as a jumping-off point the 11 songs that Mark had written for “Black Market Hearts” were fleshed out and brought to life by Producer Scott Francisco, Bassist Martin Torres and Keyboard player Gary Pritchard with help from guest artists Tommy Harkenrider (James Harman, Lynwood Slim, Big J McNeely), Scheila Gonzalez (Zappa Plays Zappa) and Sean Billings (Brian Setzer Orchestra).

Mark’s last release was 2002’s release of “Desert Center” with the Rock band “Felt”, which not coincidentally also included Francisco, Torres and Pritchard. In the intervening years Mark had gone on to open his Orange, CA music school Premier Music in 2004 and MarkWeinGuitarLessons.com in 2007. Running these ventures and starting a family precluded Mark from any recording or writing original music during those years although he did stay busy performing with local Blues and Cover bands such as the Metropolitans, Kingsize and the All Star Trio. In mid-2012 Mark decided that after years of playing cover gigs and being known to a fairly large online community at the “YouTube Lesson Guy” it was time to record a new album and re-establish himself as an artist.

After having enlisted a team of all of his favorite local players and good friends 17 songs were written for an album to be entitled “Black Market Hearts”. By the end of the year recording had started but with everyone having very busy careers and family lives it took until the end of 2013 to complete the 11 songs that ended up making the final song order.

The songs on “Black Market Hearts” combine Mark’s desire to tell stories lyrically with the intent that the songs musically would not just be traditional blues forms and feels. It was decided that no two songs would have the same groove and wherever a tweak could be added to a song structure or chord progression to better serve the song it would be done. The final album is full of grooves influenced by Funk, Soul, New Orleans and Rock music as much as from the Blues of Chicago, Texas and Memphis. If there was a song that needed a second guitar part other musicians were brought in so that a more organic band feel was kept instead of a wall of overdubbed guitars from Mark. The end result is something more than a traditional Blues album stylistically, and the production has more in common with a Rock or Alt-Country band of the last 10 years than a Chess Records classic recording. The decision had been made fairly early on that instead of regurgitating all of their favorite blues recordings that the band would make THEIR blues album distilled from their own musical journeys and tastes.

2014 will find the core band of Mark Wein, Tyler Walton, Gary Pritchard and Martin Torres playing shows around Southern California and sharing the songs from the album as well as a wealth of newer material. The album is available through iTunes, CD Baby, Amazon.com, Spotify and other online retailers.

I like it a lot. This is the kind of thing you need to grease the publicity wheels. Consider the following (just suggestions, to be taken with a grain of salt):
-replace "song order" with "cut"
-replace passive verbs/phrases like "17 songs were written" or "It was decided" with active phrases like "He/they wrote" and "They decided"
-use some imagery like instead of "the final album is full of grooves..", you could say, "the final album is brimming/overflowing/packed with of grooves"

I like it a lot. This is the kind of thing you need to grease the publicity wheels. Consider the following (just suggestions, to be taken with a grain of salt):
-replace "song order" with "cut"
-replace passive verbs/phrases like "17 songs were written" or "It was decided" with active phrases like "He/they wrote" and "They decided"
-use some imagery like instead of "the final album is full of grooves..", you could say, "the final album is brimming/overflowing/packed with of grooves"
Thanks! I'll do a little spiffing right now :)

I am really self conscious about writing about myself so this took quite an effort on my part. I'm glad that you think its OK.

Thanks! I'll do a little spiffing right now :)

I am really self conscious about writing about myself so this took quite an effort on my part. I'm glad that you think its OK.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're primary goal is to get the facts out there, so future writers about your album don't have to do all their own research. You could almost just present it in bullet points. But I think most people prefer to read it like a story.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're primary goal is to get the facts out there, so future writers about your album don't have to do all their own research. You could almost just present it in bullet points. But I think most people prefer to read it like a story.

It would be so much easier if somebody at the imaginary record label or PR firm could do this but I guess this is the DIY age :)

Check this out:

Mark Wein is proud to announce the release of his first solo album “Black Market Hearts”. Using Marks’ love of traditional Blues, Rock, Soul and New Orleans styles of music as a jumping-off point the 11 songs that Mark had written for “Black Market Hearts” were fleshed out and brought to life by Producer Scott Francisco, Bassist Martin Torres and Keyboard player Gary Pritchard with help from guest artists Tommy Harkenrider (James Harman, Lynwood Slim, Big J McNeely), Scheila Gonzalez (Zappa Plays Zappa) and Sean Billings (Brian Setzer Orchestra).

Mark’s last release was 2002’s release of “Desert Center” with the Rock band “Felt”, which not coincidentally also included his group of close friends Francisco, Torres and Pritchard. In the intervening years Mark had gone on to open his Orange, CA music school Premier Music in 2004 and MarkWeinGuitarLessons.com in 2007. Running these ventures and starting a family precluded Mark from any recording or writing original music during those years although he did stay busy performing with local Blues and Cover bands such as the Metropolitans, Kingsize and the All Star Trio. In mid-2012 Mark decided that after years of playing cover gigs and being known to a fairly large online community at the “YouTube Lesson Guy” it was time to record a new album and re-establish himself as an artist.

After having enlisted a team of all of his favorite local players and good friends Mark wrote 17 songs for an album to be entitled “Black Market Hearts”. By the end of the year recording had started but with everyone having very busy careers and family lives it took until the end of 2013 to complete the 11 songs that ended up making the final cut.

The songs on “Black Market Hearts” combine Mark’s desire to tell stories lyrically with the intent that the songs musically would not just be traditional blues forms and feels. Mark decided that no two songs would have the same groove and wherever a tweak could be added to a song structure or chord progression to better serve the song it would be done. The final album is packed with grooves influenced by Funk, Soul, New Orleans and Rock music as much as from the Blues of Chicago, Texas and Memphis. If there was a song that needed a second guitar part other musicians were brought in so that a more organic band feel was kept instead of a wall of overdubbed guitars from Mark. The end result is something more than a traditional Blues album stylistically, and the production has more in common with a Rock or Alt-Country band of the last 10 years than a Chess Records classic recording. Mark and album producer/engineer Scott Francisco had decided fairly early on that instead of regurgitating all of their favorite blues recordings that the band would make THEIR blues album distilled from their own musical journeys and tastes.

2014 will find the core band of Mark Wein, Tyler Walton, Gary Pritchard and Martin Torres playing shows around Southern California and sharing the songs from the album as well as a wealth of newer material. The album is available through iTunes, CD Baby, Amazon.com, Spotify and other online retailers.

FIXED IT:
I translated your press release to Japanese and back:

Mark Wayne is proud to announce the release of his "heart of the black market," the first solo album . New Orleans music love marks " to mark the starting point of 11 songs written in the" heart " of the black market was highlighted , Scott San Francisco producer, bassist Martin's life , rock and soul brought traditional blues with the help of ( Brian SETZER Orchestra ) ( James Herman , Lynwood Slim , big Ĵ McNeely ), Scheila Gonzalez and ( Zappa plays Zappa) Sean Billings used style guest artist Tommy Harkenrider , keyboardist Gary triggers and Richard Torres .

Mark , in 2002 with the rock band "Desert Center" in San Francisco last version released coincidentally close friends , did not include his team Pritchard and Torres is " feeling ." To this day , Mark was supposed to open Orange , California MarkWeinGuitarLessons.com and in 2004 premiered his music school music until 2007 . You are running the business, when you start a family , you can prevent any records from the trademark blues place , though he is not busy performing with cover bands such as All-Star trio and the Metropolitan King , writing in these years of the original music. The play covers the scene in the "YouTube of course the people ," said Mark , recording a new album after several years of fairly well-known large online community , to re-establish himself as an artist it was determined that the time in mid -2012.

When you recruit a team of players all good friends , like his place , Mark wrote 17 songs for the theme of the album , titled "Heart of black market ." It was started by the end of the year record , but a person 's career is very busy , family life and the end of 2013 , completed 11 songs , ending let me pick up the finals .

This song is just music , it is in the "heart of the black market" in the form of traditional blues songs, combined with Mark a desire to tell the story of lyrical intent , and not feel . It has been determined that it would not have been able to be added to the chords, provide better service , and fine-tune the structure of the song is exactly the same two songs anywhere , songs will be marked. Up , slots are packaged into the impact of rock music funk , soul, New Orleans and Chicago , Texas , as the last album from the Memphis blues . If you are due to continue from the mark , rather than the multiple bands of organic feeling guitar dubbing wall , there is a need for the song brought a second guitar part of other musicians . The end result is what the blues style , recording albums or traditional , classical chess records more than the production has more in common with the alternative country band or a rock for the past 10 years . Rather than producer / engineer Scott San Francisco and album mark, Bruce their album , the band which is regurgitated all your favorite blues , respectively, from their own preferences and things musical journey of distilled water I have decided very early recordings a .

When you play Torres Mark Wayne Martin , Taylor Walton , Gary Pritchard , performing throughout Southern California , 2014 shares of new material not only albums, songs rich core band . The iTunes, baby CD, Amazon.com, Spotify is the album available through other online retailers .

FIXED IT:

Mark Wayne is proud to announce the release of his "heart of the black market," the first solo album . New Orleans music love marks " to mark the starting point of 11 songs written in the" heart " of the black market was highlighted , Scott San Francisco producer, bassist Martin's life , rock and soul brought traditional blues with the help of ( Brian SETZER Orchestra ) ( James Herman , Lynwood Slim , big Ĵ McNeely ), Scheila Gonzalez and ( Zappa plays Zappa) Sean Billings used style guest artist Tommy Harkenrider , keyboardist Gary triggers and Richard Torres .

Mark , in 2002 with the rock band "Desert Center" in San Francisco last version released coincidentally close friends , did not include his team Pritchard and Torres is " feeling ." To this day , Mark was supposed to open Orange , California MarkWeinGuitarLessons.com and in 2004 premiered his music school music until 2007 . You are running the business, when you start a family , you can prevent any records from the trademark blues place , though he is not busy performing with cover bands such as All-Star trio and the Metropolitan King , writing in these years of the original music. The play covers the scene in the "YouTube of course the people ," said Mark , recording a new album after several years of fairly well-known large online community , to re-establish himself as an artist it was determined that the time in mid -2012.

When you recruit a team of players all good friends , like his place , Mark wrote 17 songs for the theme of the album , titled "Heart of black market ." It was started by the end of the year record , but a person 's career is very busy , family life and the end of 2013 , completed 11 songs , ending let me pick up the finals .

This song is just music , it is in the "heart of the black market" in the form of traditional blues songs, combined with Mark a desire to tell the story of lyrical intent , and not feel . It has been determined that it would not have been able to be added to the chords, provide better service , and fine-tune the structure of the song is exactly the same two songs anywhere , songs will be marked. Up , slots are packaged into the impact of rock music funk , soul, New Orleans and Chicago , Texas , as the last album from the Memphis blues . If you are due to continue from the mark , rather than the multiple bands of organic feeling guitar dubbing wall , there is a need for the song brought a second guitar part of other musicians . The end result is what the blues style , recording albums or traditional , classical chess records more than the production has more in common with the alternative country band or a rock for the past 10 years . Rather than producer / engineer Scott San Francisco and album mark, Bruce their album , the band which is regurgitated all your favorite blues , respectively, from their own preferences and things musical journey of distilled water I have decided very early recordings a .

When you play Torres Mark Wayne Martin , Taylor Walton , Gary Pritchard , performing throughout Southern California , 2014 shares of new material not only albums, songs rich core band . The iTunes, baby CD, Amazon.com, Spotify is the album available through other online retailers .

Perfect. Does Google Translate do Aramaic as well?

Also, see attached...this look somewhat OK?

Attachments

• pressreleaseTEST.pdf
    173.1 KB · Views: 124
FIXED IT:

rofl

There's still some basic editing issues with the press release--the content is good, but get someone to go over it for you. The one thing that jumps out at me is that you don't put a band's name in quotes ("Felt"), but there are several little dings like that throughout.

Back