The "Recording fest for those guys who have done this before" REVEAL!

I like how you have your own "sound"...are you playing in a band or performing much?

Haha I like how the word sound is in "quotes".
There are a couple of guys who I very occassionally play with, but it's a lot different to this stuff. Some songs are more like Pink Floyd mixed with Black Sabbath. I originally started recording at the beginning of this year, just to create demos of songs for the "band", but have decided in the meantime to get more involved in home recording. If we ever got round to playing these songs live, we'd need a second guitarist (or a keyboard). Most of the songs I've done have six or seven guitars layered, which explains why MattSkibaIsGods ear's are all wonky.

Haha I like how the word sound is in "quotes".
There are a couple of guys who I very occassionally play with, but it's a lot different to this stuff. Some songs are more like Pink Floyd mixed with Black Sabbath. I originally started recording at the beginning of this year, just to create demos of songs for the "band", but have decided in the meantime to get more involved in home recording. If we ever got round to playing these songs live, we'd need a second guitarist (or a keyboard). Most of the songs I've done have six or seven guitars layered, which explains why MattSkibaIsGods ear's are all wonky.

Well, I think its a compliment...some of the guys here (myself included, I guess) have their own "sound" that is pretty recognizable when you hear their recordings whether its from their recording techniques, singing or playing.

Well, I think its a compliment...some of the guys here (myself included, I guess) have their own "sound" that is pretty recognizable when you hear their recordings whether its from their recording techniques, singing or playing.

Yeah I know, I was just messin with you :)

DexterInferno, if you don't mind me asking what's in that "rig" of yours?

Yeah I know, I was just messin with you :)

DexterInferno, if you don't mind me asking what's in that "rig" of yours?

Sure :)

I was referring to the pc rig I use, a self built recording pc loaded with the Lynx L22 soundcard (RME adat converters going into the Lynx), using Samplitude to record everything.

Preamps are usually the FMR RNP, Presonus MP20 or a TL Audio 4 channel tube preamp - all of them at the same time when recording drums :wink:
I'll sometime use the mixer we have at our rehearsal place if I'm doing more than 8 tracks at once.

Prages - kick ass as usual. :thu: Do you mic the Avatar cab for your bass sound? What did you use for the electrics on "Sweet emotion"? I might have to take some "production" lessons from you or something...

Thanks.

For Sweet Emotion, I just plugged the bass right into the Firepod and added a touch of reverb. Most of the time I do mic my Avatar bass cab as well as running a direct out, but for this one I just plugged right in.

For rhythm guitars, for the one that does the riffs, I used my Edwards P90 LP into the Barber DD into the Bassman into my old 412 cab, and mic'd the Greenback that's in that cab. For the one that's mostly just sustained chords, it's my LP Standard into the same setup. The lead at the end was my Orange Warmoth, Barber DD, Bassman, Avatar 212 cab with the G12H30 mic'd. I used my SM57 to mic all the guitars.

Oh, and I didn't have a chance to listen to these over the weekend, but I'll try to listen to them all this evening.

Denverdave - I still think you sing like Glen Phillips from Toad the Wet Sprocket....I really enjoy this song :thu:

Considering I listen to Glenn all the time (via Toad CD's, or his solo stuff) and that we have roughly the same vocal range that is probably not surprising. Though I did not set out to emulate any particular vocal style, and I lack the edge Glen can get in his voice when he wants to.

I take that as a compliment, and Glen just took you off his Christmas card list...biggrin

I didn't have much chance to listen this weekend, so I'll listen tonight. I did listen to Prages take on Sweet Emotion - which is one of my fave Aerosmith songs. You nailed that classic Aerosmith feel of looseness while still having a deadly tight groove. When they are on their game their songs always feel that they are just barely this side of a train wreck - but they never get there. Nice outro solo! I need to get a twin humbucker guitar some day..

Nice outro solo! I need to get a twin humbucker guitar some day..

The only twin bucker guitar on the recording is the right side rhythm guitar. I used my P90 loaded Edwards for the left rhythm guitar and this for the outro solo.

Front3Small.jpg

Wowza!
As Always is outstanding too. That chorus kicks ass!
Is that an original?

Have only listened to "Sweet Emotion" so far. Prages, you make me sick. Being able to do the drums, bass and guitar, ok, cool. No reason to be sick there. Impressed, sure. Respecful of abilities, sure. But being able to sing it like that just puts you over the line. You make me sick. cop0

I love0 it!

Suhnton, I wish your vocals were mixed a little hotter.
Other than that, solid recordings. Guitar textures on the first song were especially nice.

The only twin bucker guitar on the recording is the right side rhythm guitar. I used my P90 loaded Edwards for the left rhythm guitar and this for the outro solo.

Front3Small.jpg

I'm glad to hear that - because I probably should not buy another gutiar for awhile.

Of course, I said that before I bought the Blade last month...:facepalm:

Back