The "Recording fest for guys who have done this before"

are you using midi loops or are they wav files? If they are Midi I would think that you could alter them a little bit to fit your song...thats pretty much what I did with mine and it turned out OK...

are you using midi loops or are they wav files? If they are Midi I would think that you could alter them a little bit to fit your song...thats pretty much what I did with mine and it turned out OK...

They are Acid loops from a CD 'drum sampler' I got with Ableton. You can 'play' loops in Ableton. There is also a drum sequencer in both Cubase and Ableton where you can alter a lot of stuff, but I don't have the keyboard for Cubase, and I don't have the time for this song to figure out Ableton.

I did the drum loop in Ableton and Rewired Ableton into Cubase, but I could not figure out from there how to get the loop to play in Cubase in the Rewire channel. So I just saved it as a .wav file and dropped it into Cubase that way. I am slowly figuring this stuff out. I am very at home in a analog studio situation because I did recording and production work for a couple of years, but that was before the digital revolution. I'm loving this, but have a ton of stuff to learn still.

They are Acid loops from a CD 'drum sampler' I got with Ableton. You can 'play' loops in Ableton. There is also a drum sequencer in both Cubase and Ableton where you can alter a lot of stuff, but I don't have the keyboard for Cubase, and I don't have the time for this song to figure out Ableton.

I did the drum loop in Ableton and Rewired Ableton into Cubase, but I could not figure out from there how to get the loop to play in Cubase in the Rewire channel. So I just saved it as a .wav file and dropped it into Cubase that way. I am slowly figuring this stuff out. I am very at home in a analog studio situation because I did recording and production work for a couple of years, but that was before the digital revolution. I'm loving this, but have a ton of stuff to learn still.

I'm in the same boat...learning all of this stuff has been a process for me, too. I have a little more insight into how to make it work from being around it but actually doing it is another story....

Later tonight I'm going to spend sometime working on my back bedroom studio. I've been having a hard time getting everything set-up since I moved my main rig down to the academy and my home recordings have really suffered from it. I'll have to buckle down and just get things hooked up right and sensibly instead of just scattered around.

Organizing stuff has always been the biggest PITA for me....having my current setup eliminated the need for that, though....

Organizing stuff has always been the biggest PITA for me....having my current setup eliminated the need for that, though....

On paper this is pretty easy:

Guitar > NI Rig Kontrol and M*Audio Controller > iMac > Monitors (out through Rig Kontrol)

But I've gotta clean up the space, get all the books, notebooks, backup CDs, etc ready, HD's, clean up extra crap from before the computer was mine and worst of all, learn how to use Logic. :HB:

I have about a 6' x 4' studio space. I have a desk in the corner of the bedroom. I keep wacking the dresser behind me with the chair and/or the guitars. I mike the amp in the closet so the clothing absorbs the volume and I don't get too loud when people are home...

My studio space is about 15' x 34'. :embarrassed:

I just crank the stuff and go for it. :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

I've had neighbors 100 yards away tell me they can hear me playing when they go into their yard. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Oh, and I started a new cover song yesterday. I almost got it finished up. I may redo the guitars though, and I still need to do vocals and add a few percussion things.

I'm listening to the cover song I'm working on for this. I think I have captured the best guitar tone I've ever managed to create...at least for this particular song.

I just cranked the shit out of the Bassman and threw the DD in front of it for some added grit. Used my Edwards LP and my Gibson LP.

It's pretty massive. :embarrassed:

SCHWEET!

Did you get a chance to listen to what I sent you? I might have time this afternoon to fix it....

SCHWEET!

Did you get a chance to listen to what I sent you? I might have time this afternoon to fix it....

Yeah, I gave it a quick listen this morning. Sounds good. I can tell it's right at the top of your vocal range, but it sounds good to me.

Yeah, I gave it a quick listen this morning. Sounds good. I can tell it's right at the top of your vocal range, but it sounds good to me.

Thanks...I'm starting to get sick, but I think if I warm up this morning I'll sound a little more comfortable singing that high. The vocals were supposed to be me trying something and working the lyrics out but I might be stuck with them if I get busy this afternoon. The sound is terribly boxy, too...you can actually hear the ceiling reflections. :facepalm:

The sound is terribly boxy, too...you can actually hear the ceiling reflections. :facepalm:

I sing (literally) in our clothes closet. It is right next to my desk where my laptop sits. Sound wise it is very, very dead with all the clothes hanging up and a carpeted floor....

I sing (literally) in our clothes closet. It is right next to my desk where my laptop sits. Sound wise it is very, very dead with all the clothes hanging up and a carpeted floor....

my office doesn't really have a closet like that. I'm going to try and do it in the lobby where the ceilings are a smidge higher but they are acoustic drop ceiling and the room is much larger.

The ceiling in my studio is only about 7 feet tall.

Luckily, it's an oddly shaped room, so it doesn't really sound boxy.

I just finished mixing and mastering my final entry. I'll get it PMed later this morning. I also got Tele's vocals done, though they are kind of rough, but I think they'll do. I'll send you those tracks later this morning too.

Back