The "Recording fest for guys who have done this before"

OK, I think I know what my project is going to be.....it's a well-known rock instrumental. Pretty ambitious for me, but I've got a month, and it is starting to come together. If I cant get it, I will post what I have come April 1st and you guys can laugh.....but it's a tune I've always wanted to do, it's ridiculous fun to play.
Eruption?

I just listened to my basic tracks here at home an my mix is terrible....this is my first time mixing anything intended for mp3 and its strange what happens to a mix when its compressed like this...

You know, I never really notice much difference between my uncompressed wave files and my mp3s at 128 kbps. I mean, sometimes the cymbols get a few artifacts, but most of the time, unless I'm really, really listening for it, I don't even notice that.

You know, I never really notice much difference between my uncompressed wave files and my mp3s at 128 kbps. I mean, sometimes the cymbols get a few artifacts, but most of the time, unless I'm really, really listening for it, I don't even notice that.

I think its probably the different speakers more than anything else, then...

Actually, I generally prefer the compressed file. Yes, some quality is lost but I normally hear less hum and unwanted noise in the MP3 than in the master file, so it's not really a bad thing for me.

:facepalm:

I don't know if I'll get anything done in time :embarrassed:

I'm doing a comedy review show locally here, being in the band, and rehearsals/shows are each night up to and including next Sunday - starting tomorrow...

I may have to resort to maybe finishing up one that's half-done already, if that's ok :embarrassed:

What do you guys think about doing the "Guys who have done this reveal" a day later so that we don't bust the anonymity of GJ Songwriting contest?

What do you guys think about doing the "Guys who have done this reveal" a day later so that we don't bust the anonymity of GJ Songwriting contest?

Depending on how many entries I get, the songwriting contest could take a while. Last year it ran too long, lasting about 2 weeks. This year, I'm going to do my best to only do two rounds and a final. Last year was 4 rounds, a second chance round, and a final, with 3 days between each round.

Still though, if I can finish up my entry, I've still got a few days left to whip something up. I don't think we have any big plans this weekend, so anything's possible.

Depending on how many entries I get, the songwriting contest could take a while. Last year it ran too long, lasting about 2 weeks. This year, I'm going to do my best to only do two rounds and a final. Last year was 4 rounds, a second chance round, and a final, with 3 days between each round.

Still though, if I can finish up my entry, I've still got a few days left to whip something up. I don't think we have any big plans this weekend, so anything's possible.

I will have to have some intense recording this weekend to get finished up. That and an armed guard at the door. My kids never knock or read signs that say 'Do Not Disturb - Recording in progress!!!!', they just barge in or bang on the door anyway...

I will have to have some intense recording this weekend to get finished up. That and an armed guard at the door. My kids never knock or read signs that say 'Do Not Disturb - Recording in progress!!!!', they just barge in or bang on the door anyway...

My dogs do the same thing. :embarrassed:

I think we'll push the reveal for this part of the fest back to April 10th so as to not conflict with the GJ contest....I'll put a sticky in the lounge, too...

I got my drums, acoustic guitar and bass tracks recorded tonight. The drums are way too mechanical, but they are loops. I've got to figure out how to use the sequencer in either Ableton or Cubase for drums. I know you have to have a MIDI keyboard for the Cubase one, and I don't have it. The bass lines took way to many attempts to record, and I'm not getting the 'punch in' on my software to work right...

:HB:

I've got three guitar tracks and the vocals to finish by Sunday. And most of the lyrics.

Back