The "Recording fest for guys who have done this before"

Discussion in 'In the Studio' started by Mark Wein, Feb 20, 2009.

Feb 20, 2009
  1. Mark Wein :mad:

You know who your are!

Same deal as the other one, but it just has to be something recorded for this particular event...cover song or original...it doesn't matter.

We'll have the reveal on Wednesday, April 1st so just have them in before then!

2. Feb 20, 2009
  3. Chihlidog n00b

Prages, you know you wanna let me roll down to your house and do a collaboration :p

GilmourD likes this.
  4. Feb 20, 2009
  5. Prages User Error

You're more than welcome.

Pittsburgh is about 2 1/2 hours away, so it's not completely out of the question.

6. Feb 20, 2009
  7. Chihlidog n00b

I was just messin with ya. I couldnt hold up to your abilities :cool:

8. Feb 20, 2009
  9. Prages User Error

So, I'm not allowed to use an entry for 'the other one' for this one? :weebz:

Maybe this would be a good time to work on that Boston cover you guys suggested a month or so back. :cool:

10. Feb 20, 2009
  11. Prages User Error

Bull.

It's all smoke an mirrors. I'm really good at polishing my turds in the studio. :weebz:

12. Feb 20, 2009
  13. Mark Wein :mad:

Do eeet!

14. Feb 20, 2009
  15. Prages User Error

Plus, I'd love to crank up your 5150. :weebz:

16. Feb 20, 2009
  17. Chihlidog n00b

I'm a mediocre player at best, I SUCK at learning anything by ear, cant solo worth a darn, etc.

I AM gonna try to get something together for this but I only have my guitarport and reaper. My guitarport is pretty capable, but I am still utterly confused by it, and I havent made any progress with reaper.

Bah.

18. Feb 20, 2009
  19. Chihlidog n00b

If it were actually cranked your dogs would run away and your roof might come down. cop0

20. Feb 20, 2009
  21. Prages User Error

:facepalm:

I just saw the other thread. I thought you were calling Coverfest 'the other one'. :facepalm:

22. Feb 20, 2009
  23. Prages User Error

I once cranked my 100 watt JCM 800 2203 at home...for about 20 seconds. No structural damage, but I think I may be sterile now.

24. Feb 20, 2009
  25. Phil513 n00b

Yeah, that would be cool. After you mentioned it, i listened a bit more carefully to that bass line. Wow.

26. Feb 20, 2009
  27. Chihlidog n00b

You couldnt pay me to try the 5150 past 5 or so. Seriously, I'm scared of it. :eek:

28. Feb 20, 2009
  29. Mark Wein :mad:

biggrin

I just want to have one "fest" for the guys who are just getting started with their recording gear and need a short term goal for their guitar playing. If You and Dexter and Grits all were throwing recordings into the same pool they probably wouldn't feel very comfortable posting their first attempts.

This will actually be my first project all on my own in a very long time with all new gear, but I'll post mine with the big boys :p

30. Feb 20, 2009
  31. Prages User Error

An old high school friend of mine has one, and I've probably heard it up around 5 a couple of times. It was deafening.

That said, the JCM 800 I had was the loudest amp I've ever played through. It was literally useless to me because it went from dead quiet to so loud that it blurred your vision and took your breath away from 0 to 1 on the master volume knob. It really didn't get much louder past about 3 or 4, just more 'Marshally'. Unfortunately, by 3 or 4, it was impossible to be in the same room with the amp. I had it for about a year, and it never left my house because if I'd taken it to a gig, we'd have been thrown out by the end of the first song.

32. Feb 20, 2009
  33. Dexter Inferno Serious error

Even my ENGL 50 watter combo has never been past 5 - I'm afraid I'd do some serious damage if I'd attempt that :eek:

I'm contemplating using an original I'm working on btw. We'll see ;)

34. Feb 20, 2009
  35. Chihlidog n00b

I really gotta get a demo of that 5150 together like I said I would. I just dont know what to play.:facepalm:

36. Feb 20, 2009
  37. Prages User Error

Yeah, the bass line in that one is a bit...busy. :D

38. Feb 20, 2009
  39. Chihlidog n00b

Which Boston song?