The reasonably priced, good gear thread

Dexter Inferno

Serious error
Please do jump in those of you with good tips

My experiences the last few years...

Aston Mics. The Origin and Spirit mics are ridiculously cheap, and very good - regardless of price.
Need a cheap good condenser? Run and get an Aston. And no the cheap MXL stuff isn't anywhere near it in quality. Most of the cheapo chinese made stuff isn't anywhere near.

Warm Audio anything. I have the 312 preamp which kick arse, and will be getting their 87 version shortly.
Great quality at a third of the price of the original. And they use the exact same components!! :eek:

Some would say it's expensive....but invest in a Radial JDI DI box and reamp box. Especially the JDI. It fucking rocks.

Plugins: the Klanghelm MJUC. Fantastic optical compressor plugin. At about 30 bucks it's ridiculously cheap.
And...if you can stomach the monthly payment...the Slate Everything Bundle. My mixes improved tenfold after getting those plugins. Nevermind the New Jersey hype, they really are that good.

Focusrite interfaces - but depending on what daw you're using. I've had hell with their drivers, but they apparently don't test with the software I use.

Anyways, can't go wrong with whatever mentioned in here.

A few others that came to mind..

Audix i5. Kickass snare mic, and just a tiny bit more expensive than an SM57 but imo sounds much better (better high end response, and much less midrange honk).

FMR RNC (Really Nice Compressor). Been around for a long time now, and still very useful.
Use it on the way in now with every vocal I record. Saves me A LOT of work further down the line.
In super nice mode, which is basically 3 compressors in a row knocking off a little each, you can compress quite hard without any artifacts whatsoever.

In the free range: Blue Cat plugins. Sound very good, usable and stable. The chorus in particular is fantastic. And they cost nothing! :)
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Bundle_FreewarePack/

Aston Mics. The Origin and Spirit mics are ridiculously cheap, and very good - regardless of price.
Need a cheap good condenser? Run and get an Aston. And no the cheap MXL stuff isn't anywhere near it in quality. Most of the cheapo chinese made stuff isn't anywhere near.

Warm Audio anything. I have the 312 preamp which kick arse, and will be getting their 87 version shortly.
Great quality at a third of the price of the original. And they use the exact same components!! :eek:

Some would say it's expensive....but invest in a Radial JDI DI box and reamp box. Especially the JDI. It fucking rocks.

Plugins: the Klanghelm MJUC. Fantastic optical compressor plugin. At about 30 bucks it's ridiculously cheap.
And...if you can stomach the monthly payment...the Slate Everything Bundle. My mixes improved tenfold after getting those plugins. Nevermind the New Jersey hype, they really are that good.

Focusrite interfaces - but depending on what daw you're using. I've had hell with their drivers, but they apparently don't test with the software I use.

I didn't find their upload instructions very clear. I didn't upload their drivers first because I didn't hear or read upload the drivers first. So I deleted everything and then uploaded the drivers first and then it worked great.

What dollar figure do you consider a ridiculously cheap mic?

I was able to download it free to both my iPhone and iPad. Couple it with a cheap ($60, IIRC) iRig HD input device and you have a usable DAW.
I didn't know you could put it on your phone. I'll have to do some looking.

What dollar figure do you consider a ridiculously cheap mic?

For a good quality mic, I'd say anything under 400 is cheap (the Origin is 299 iirc). The Aston mics when factoring in their quality normally "should" cost about 3 times their actual price. Imo the Origin is a much better mic to work with than the Neumann TLM103 which is at about 1k (and can be absolutely horrible on some sources).

For a good quality mic, I'd say anything under 400 is cheap (the Origin is 299 iirc). The Aston mics when factoring in their quality normally "should" cost about 3 times their actual price. Imo the Origin is a much better mic to work with than the Neumann TLM103 which is at about 1k (and can be absolutely horrible on some sources).
Cool. After looking up the price on some my thoughts were DI is a real professional in this area and not a hack like me.

Used Gibson SG specials. Especially if a previous owner has already had the nut and fret ends fixed.

Behringer XM8500 mics. Frequency response sounds better to me than the SM58 it's "inspired" by. Been using 2 for the best part of 2 decades now. At £20 or less if one does get trashed on a gig, it's not chewing up my whole gig fee whereas an SM58 will probably to take 2 gigs to pay for.

Back