The PRS S2 Singlecut Standard vs The Godin Core CT

PRS or Godin

• Total voters
I've been working on this song on and off today. And I've mostly been playing my Ric. Sounds cool. But the second part just didn't have it for me. So I picked up my PRS Custom 24. There it was. And "it" had nothing to do with tone (Flamencology says, "of course not. The Ric is obviously superior in every way.") and everything to do with neck feel. So I think it comes down to this: if the S2 has the same neck feel (which it should), then the PRS wins this poll. Time to go find one, I guess.

While the PRS does indeed have a 10" radius, all of the S2 series instruments feature the pattern regular neck. It's not so much the radius for me, but the neck profile that actually matters most. I will add, however, that my PRS, Ric, and Danos all have a 10" radius. The Dano even has a 25" scale.

One of the reason I got rid of that SE Zack Myers was I didn't car for the wide-fat profile, after having it for a bit.

I do like the DGT neck profile though. Is that basically a PRS regular, or is there a difference between the regular and a DGT? I think the DGT has a 1 5/8" nut-width, or really close.

One of the reason I got rid of that SE Zack Myers was I didn't car for the wide-fat profile, after having it for a bit.

I do like the DGT neck profile though. Is that basically a PRS regular, or is there a difference between the regular and a DGT? I think the DGT has a 1 5/8" nut-width, or really close.

I dunno, I've never played a DGT. Too rich for my blood.

I've been working on this song on and off today. And I've mostly been playing my Ric. Sounds cool. But the second part just didn't have it for me. So I picked up my PRS Custom 24. There it was. And "it" had nothing to do with tone (Flamencology says, "of course not. The Ric is obviously superior in every way.") and everything to do with neck feel. So I think it comes down to this: if the S2 has the same neck feel (which it should), then the PRS wins this poll. Time to go find one, I guess.

No, I'm not a Ric fan.

I like the PRS.
I like the Godin just a little more.

I think it's just the S2 pickguard that makes the difference, his time.

Of course I would go with the Godin and that PRS looks as bad as those Ovation Electrics from the early 70's

ScottGrove70sOvationViper3IIIGroovy.jpg

My eyes! OH GOD, MY EYES!!

vrt11fjpg.gif

So who can tell me about the Godin neck carve? Nobody at TGP can articulate why they don't like it, only that they don't. Which, to me, is a non-answer.

So who can tell me about the Godin neck carve? Nobody at TGP can articulate why they don't like it, only that they don't. Which, to me, is a non-answer.

Well, if it's the same as my 5th Avenue it's really comfortable. It's not chunky, but it's definitely not Ibanez thin. It feels pretty close to my American Deluxe Strat neck, maybe a bit slimmer on the shoulders.

Because it's not expensive enough.

The response seems to be, "I've owned a Godin in the past and it's a solid instrument. But I didn't like the neck carve." And nothing after that. One guy now said it didn't feel like a '59 LP or a PRS Wide Fat. But that's it.

Well, if it's the same as my 5th Avenue it's really comfortable. It's not chunky, but it's definitely not Ibanez thin. It feels pretty close to my American Deluxe Strat neck, maybe a bit slimmer on the shoulders.

Pretty much this for the fifth avenue. I love it because it's one of a handful of guitars I own that I don't think about the neck. I just play through it and do what I want without compensating for too thin/thick/wide/narrow. The other guitars like this for me are my warmoth "standard thin" telecaster, Martin HD-35, and Guild D4. It feels similar to those.

I don't know if the Core has the same shape as the fifth avenue, though. I also get that some people may not be fans.

Pretty much this for the fifth avenue. I love it because it's one of a handful of guitars I own that I don't think about the neck. I just play through it and do what I want without compensating for too thin/thick/wide/narrow. The other guitars like this for me are my warmoth "standard thin" telecaster, Martin HD-35, and Guild D4. It feels similar to those.

I don't know if the Core has the same shape as the fifth avenue, though. I also get that some people may not be fans.

It's my guess that Godin has the same carve for everything and then adds a piece of wood at the bottom for all glued-in neck joints.

It's my guess that Godin has the same carve for everything and then adds a piece of wood at the bottom for all glued-in neck joints.

If you've played a Seagull it doesn't feel like that. :embarrassed:

One thing I've gotta give to Godin... the satin finished neck feels great.

Back