Dig it! The Premier Music Guild Dreadnaught Shootout

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
My 1998 DV52 ( on the right) vs my buddy Martin's D55. They seem to be the same era of mid-late 90's Rhode Island factory Guilds...Martin bought is a few weeks ago from a music store in Palo Alto and doesn't have much info on it. Its a nice sounding guitar...mine is a bit warmer and bigger sounding but his is nicely balanced and is probably better for fingerstyle playing than mine. Next time we get together maybe we'll shoot some video....

10891930_10153065835342425_4588526805627142621_n.jpg

Very cool. Guild made good guitars, though I have not been too impressed with the newer ones I have played.

That reminds me of when I bought my Ovation '86 Collector. Since I worked at the store, I had 3 to choose from and would try each one numerous times until I settled on one. Working there helped as when there were no customers and no restock or cleaning up to do, I could play and pick the one that I wanted to own.

I got confused when you said Martin and D55 right next to each other. Is yours rosewood back and sides? I tend to like that sound over mahogany back and sides, both Martin and Guild guitars. Maybe yours is more open and warm because it has been played more and has opened up. Possible I suppose.

Very cool. Guild made good guitars, though I have not been too impressed with the newer ones I have played.

After Fender shut the Rhode Island factory down they were never the same.
I got confused when you said Martin and D55 right next to each other. Is yours rosewood back and sides? I tend to like that sound over mahogany back and sides, both Martin and Guild guitars. Maybe yours is more open and warm because it has been played more and has opened up. Possible I suppose.

Yeah...mine is solid rosewood back and sides with a solid spruce top. I originally wanted a Martin D-28 but couldn't afford it so I found the Guild model that was closest and ordered 3 of them for the store that I was working at. This was the best of the 3. I figured at some point I would get a "real" D-28 but haven't found one under about $4k thats even close to this. Kinda sad really.

VERY cool guys! Guidl made some great guitars, when they were in Westerly, RI. My old Guild 12-string was Westerly made one. I sure miss it at times.

Back