The Prages Jeep Wrangler Search Thread

That's what I figured when I first made the offer, but I think I'd rather pay more up front for one that needs less work.

with something like that, I usually go by the rule that the prior owner is telling you about 50% of the work that actually needs to be done/parts that need to be replaced.
That's pretty much my stance.

If it had factory cruise and a/c, I'd probably jump on it.

It is a very solid Jeep.

The hood has flipped back while driving and dented the hood and cracked the windshield, and the fender has bumped something.

The interior has had the floor liner gutted and bed lined, and the liner has peeled away, and there is no center console, shift boot, or kick panel under the steering wheel.

I'm thinking it'll take at least $3000 to make it a "nice" Jeep, and then I'm still stuck with no cruise or a/c.

On the other hand, I recently saw a 2004 model that was perfect with 72,000 miles with a 6 cyl, 5 speed manual, cruise, a/c, and a hard top for $10,200 asking price. I haven't called about it because it's over $10k.

Still, it is a really nice Jeep without needing any work. It even had new tires.

It was yellow, but a yellow Jeep with black hardware is pretty badass, IMO.

Personally, I try to avoid vehicles that the prior owner has obviously neglected...and that sounds like it fits; when you're checking out the car and talking to the PO, you usually catch about 3/4 of the work that actually needs to be done and under-estimate the time and money needed to get it up to your expectations. (especially living in a state w/ required safety & emissions inspections)

with something like that, I usually go by the rule that the prior owner is telling you about 50% of the work that actually needs to be done/parts that need to be replaced.

Well, the seller doesn't mention anything needing fixed in the Craigslist ad. The pictures he posted are obviously a couple of years old, because it has brand new tires in the pictures, and those tires are worn out now. The pictures show a much better Jeep than the seller really has.

Well, the seller doesn't mention anything needing fixed in the Craigslist ad. The pictures he posted are obviously a couple of years old, because it has brand new tires in the pictures, and those tires are worn out now. The pictures show a much better Jeep than the seller really has.

When I was look for a used truck the other year, I'd ask for some additional pictures on most of the CL ads I was interested in. I'd say a substantial majority of the ones that actually responded with some additional pics showed trucks that were in much worse shape than the listing pics. I get that you want to put the best image out there but some of these listings were pretty deceptive.

The worst was a black Toyota Taco...all the guys pics were from a suspicious distance & it looked really good. He was close so I went over. What you couldn't see in the pics is that he just sprayed all the rust with black spray paint around all the wheel wells and back of the cab...and that was just the start of the problems he masked. The thing was a complete mess but you'd never know it from the pics.

When I was look for a used truck the other year, I'd ask for some additional pictures on most of the CL ads I was interested in. I'd say a substantial majority of the ones that actually responded with some additional pics showed trucks that were in much worse shape than the listing pics. I get that you want to put the best image out there but some of these listings were pretty deceptive.

The worst was a black Toyota Taco...all the guys pics were from a suspicious distance & it looked really good. He was close so I went over. What you couldn't see in the pics is that he just sprayed all the rust with black spray paint around all the wheel wells and back of the cab...and that was just the start of the problems he masked. The thing was a complete mess but you'd never know it from the pics.

Yeah, that's Taco sounds worse than the Jeep.

When I called the guy to ask about it, he did mention that it needed tires and the windshield was cracked.

He didn't mention the missing interior trim. I could tell from the pictures that the carpet had been removed and the floor had been bedlined, and the shift boot was missing, so I knew about that going in.

Ha.

The seller offered it to me at $5250 saying that if I didn't take it, he was going to hold steady at $5500.

He relisted it on Craigslist today for $5200.

I'm definitely out of the market on this one.

00n0n_aRcAjSS0sFR_600x450.jpg

1998 Jeep Wrangler Reduced - $8000
Many new parts including brake lines, brakes, shocks, springs, and exhaust. It also has a soft top with new windows. There is a 3 inch lift. $8000.00 obo

Sure does look minty fresh.

Many new parts including brake lines, brakes, shocks, springs, and exhaust. It also has a soft top with new windows. There is a 3 inch lift. $8000.00 obo

I bet the interior trim is still there, too.
:wink:

How many miles, where? Is the frame rusted out?

128000, 6 cyl. Gas, stick, Verona Wisc. No idea about the frame, it's on the local craigslist. If you're interested I could take a run down there.

Nah. I'm sticking to my guns with local and under 100k miles.

I didn't know you were looking for a jeep. I just bought a '97 wrangler with 53,000. I paid $5,500.

I just had new floor pans installed.

Funny, the first new car I owned was a '97 wrangler.

IMG_1653.jpg

Back