The people that you meet...Hamilton tickets.

Dogsinplastic

avuncular to no one
So, my wife is Christian. She's also liberal, pro-choice, educated (a teacher in fact), amazing woman, etc. We've lived in northern Virginia for all but one year since 1999, almost exclusively in Alexandria. For the better part of a decade we've been going to a little Methodist church that's about a quarter of a mile from where she works.

She's been a regular attender and even has lead or co-lead Sunday School classes for several years...despite not wanting to deal with students on the weekends. He level of involvement got her in voted/volunteered onto the board of trustees. Always feeling like we can do more, she said yes. So last year around the holidays, we go to a trustees dinner...

It turns out that one of the heads of the board has a brother...one that happens to do lighting design for shows...Broadway shows. Here's some of his info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howell_Binkley

So, he's got a couple of Tony awards, one for Jersey Boys and one for...

...wait for it...

...you've guessed...

...Hamilton.

So it's not just his job and he's good at it, he's great at it.

As a result of all of this, our associate from church is able to acquire his brother's two seventh row center orchestra seats for Hamilton performances. Several of the folks we know from church have been already, a bunch of lucky folks got to see the original cast. We've put in for a pair some time August (or maybe September at the latest), which are our son's 13th birthday gift. We're getting them at face value (or just slightly above) and they are non-transferable (apparently people have tried to sell tickets they've gotten from cast and crew members), but we're all good with that.

Looking forward to his report or going, which my wife says I am. Either way, the people that you meet and get to know can be quite interesting.

I have heard good things about Hamilton but have no clue about the music or anything. I should listen to the soundtrack I guess.

I have heard good things about Hamilton but have no clue about the music or anything. I should listen to the soundtrack I guess.

My son is a crazy history buff. We live just outside of DC and his mom taught fourth grade for most of her career. In Virginia, that's when they teach kids Virginia history. We live down the road from Mt. Vernon and Gunston Hall (Washington and Mason's homes). We've got the Carlyle in Old Town Alexandria, DC and all of its historic sites and museums...so he's got a ridiculous interest and grasp of colonial history. While he knew of and about Hamilton, the soundtrack got him much more interested. Hell, it got me interested and I'm very passively interested in history as far a leisure activities go...as in I won't generally read history books or biographies for fun, but my kids has since he could read.

It's also been a bit of bonding thing for us. I'm a total music junky and while not trying to shove it down his throat, he's generally rebuffed most attempts to share music (especially learning how to play music). Hamilton has us both hooked and we keep referencing it or quoting bits whenever we hear anyone say a phrase the might be two or three words from one of the show's tunes.

I think it's great a stellar and after listening to it almost non-stop (there's one!) for basically eight months, I've only recently avoided listening to it. The wife and I will be heading back to the gym shortly and I'm likely to start playing it again...as it (music) takes my mind off of the drudgery of exercise. The longer and/or more entertaining the pieces, the less I concentrate on hating the various machines I'm using.

Cool. Every kid my daughter's age is obsessed with that show (13 yo), and, apparently, this follows the rest of the world. Nice to see your wife's work reworded with something cool like this, even if the point isn't reward.

Reactions: OGG
Cool. Every kid my daughter's age is obsessed with that show (13 yo), and, apparently, this follows the rest of the world. Nice to see your wife's work reworded with something cool like this, even if the point isn't reward.

Yeah, it's kind of just dumb luck. We happen to go to the same church and our son happens to have a massive history jones and his brother happens to be a Tony award winning light designer and we happen to have developed an obsessive fondness for Hamilton for whom his brother did Tony award winning lighting design. Even getting to go to the show is gravy for me (although I'll love it), but a real unique experience for my son.

I do feel kind of guilty since I'm not really religious. I support her beliefs though, but it's kind of rough at our church as there are more than few Trump supporters (or general liberal haters). Huge military presence, so a fair amount of would be Evangelicals finding a place in arguably the most moderate to liberal Christian sect. Kinda strange actually.

The wife and I went to see Hamilton last year. Dear Jeebus it's an excellent show. It deserves every accolade it's received and more.

How many Hamilton's do the tickets normally go for?

Face value for all but the "best" seats is between $179-199 per ticket (as of last June). These best seats officially were going for $849 per the same time frame (detailed in this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/09/...es-the-best-seats-will-now-cost-849.html?_r=0).

But the prices on the resale market start at about $400 and go into the $1500 range. Before the original cast started leaving and in anticipation of these departures people were scalping and getting $10K for some tickets. The amount of money that Hamilton has been screwed out of is unprecedented in the theater. Literally tens of millions that never went to anyone involved with the show (again as of last June). That's mighty fucked up.

Theater is very expensive, always has been. Concerts for bigger artists are getting up there too, but I digress

I can confirm this. My daughter who just turned 14 last week, lives and breathes Hamilton along with all of her friends.

Sent from Crab Nebulae via reverse engineered alien technology

I can confirm this. My daughter who just turned 14 last week, lives and breathes Hamilton along with all of her friends.

Sent from Crab Nebulae via reverse engineered alien technology
My wife has been obsessed with Alexander Hamilton since she was a teen, so when Lin Manuel Miranda came up with a Broadway musical about him, she practically shat herself.

Reactions: OGG
Back