The parts start rolling in... Now NGD

Pickup ordered. That was the last piece to order, so it looks like it will be ready in plenty of time for Barn Storm.

Have you thought about doing the hidden neck pup thing? You get the look you like along with extra toanz.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/esquire-hidden-neck-pickup-question.78847/
Nah, i don't ditch the neck pickup for looks, I never use it, so why waste extra money on one?
I wonder how the guard covering the pickup affects the tone?
The pickup would have to sit below the rout. Then a pickguard sits between the magnetic field and the strings...
Its gotta be much less powerful and somehow muted sounding?
I would imagine it wouldn't be all that desirable a sound, but I've never heard it.

The pickup would have to sit below the rout. Then a pickguard sits between the magnetic field and the strings...
I would imagine it wouldn't be all that desirable a sound, but I've never heard it.
I doubt the plastic pickguard would have any effect on the tone.

Sitting that far from the strings definitely would though.

I use the neck pickup on all of my guitars most of the time (especially strats and teles). Not having one would drive me nuts. I guess it depends on the type of music being played.

I doubt the plastic pickguard would have any effect on the tone.

Sitting that far from the strings definitely would though.

I use the neck pickup on all of my guitars most of the time (especially strats and teles). Not having one would drive me nuts. I guess it depends on the type of music being played.

I think the last time I used a neck pickup was in the band I was in that broke up in '96. I used it for one part of one song. One night at a gig, I forgot to flip to the neck pickup for that part and nobody noticed. I've haven't gone back to it since so I think I am fine not having one :grin:

It's been done with varying results. The consensus is to use a very hot pickup! The Duncan STR-3 is almost 12K. Some have back routed a 3 ply pickguard to get the magnets closer. I guess it's one of those gimmicks that would be cool if you had a bunch of tele variants and wanted to make a unique one. I also saw someone who ditched the bridge pup, used a half bridge and hid the neck pup under the PG. No visible pickup. It looked very sleek. Glendale also makes a traditional tele bridge with no pickup cutout. I think it might be a fun project.

Pickup arrived a few days ago and I just got the shipping notification from Warmoth for the neck. Scheduled delivery the 29th. That is the last part.

IMG_4263.JPG

Done. Except for final setup for action and intonation. I'll do that in a few days, but it is playable and sounds great. I gotta keep my eye on it so @Kerouac doesn't steal it :grin:

IMG_4277.JPG

I did notice a chip in the body when putting it together today. While I was waiting for parts, I had it on a shelf about 6 inches off the floor, wrapped in the padded wrap they ship it in. One of our cats knocked it off and I didn't look at it, but there is a little chip. I guess it's relic'd so that adds a couple of hundred dollars to its worth :grin:

IMG_4278.JPG

Back