The One Album That Changed it All FOR YOU

Bon_jovi_slippery_when_wet.jpg

In 1987 I got a boom box for Christmas. My birthday is two days after Christmas, so on December 27 I went to K-Mart to get Michael Jackson’s seminal work, Bad. K-Mart crushed my dream of listening to Michael Jackson. I was too young and stupid to ask my mom to take me to a record store. I’m not sure I even knew what record stores were. So I saw Bon Jovi on the shelf and bought it having never heard Bon Jovi in my life. I listened to that tape countless times and I’ve loved loud guitars ever since.

This was it for me.
220px-Black_Sabbath_-_Paranoid.jpg

I had heard other groups from '60s and early '70s,but none of them had the impact Paranoid did.

beavis0

This thread is impossible Peen Simmons...shame on you :mad :mad: :mad:

Theres just too many instances of "changed" but for sake of the thread I will go with...

Album Dinosaur JR - Green Mind

Why I had already been exposed to bands like King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Steeley dan, The velvet underground, Zappa, Grateful dead, Genesis, etc, etc, etc REM was probably "my band" at this time but otherwise it Slayer, Anthrax,Janes addiction, Rush ,Metallica, U2, Bowie, UFO....This was 1991 and I had picked up some alternative not quite a zine butdefinitely no Rolling Stone (Even though RS was still respectable back then)...hell not even SPIN (it was still in the large old school rolling stone size) but this 'alternative" magazine had this review in the back for this band Dinosaur Jr...and it had that awesome cover with the little girl smoking a cig. They described this J mascis as a guitar god who did wild solos. I new nothing of the album. I read the review whilst camping with my dad in the back country of New Mexico. The morning after we got back to Tucson i went to the local record store and bought this and it blew me awy...it was old it was new it had this melodic beauty to it......it was freeking full volume all the time but so melodic, much different than the metal stuff, not punk, not metal.... this "just barely" proceeded the grunge explosion

anyway that's one and fwiw I never even picked up a Guitar until probably 9 years later :shrug:

later on I'd say it was just more ideas rather than albums... Brian Eno and his ambience, john fahey for his droning kinda thing, then there was the motorik beat, stuff like Boards of Canada

I'm gonna leave this here *spits*

Album: Our Time in Eden -10,000 Maniacs

Why (oh God why???): I was back home on leave from Washington DC and watching Mtv waiting for the occasional head banger video to come on. At one point I found myself confronted with the video for"Candy Everybody Wants" and something profound happened. I found myself smiling and amused by the upbeat temp and music with the horn hits and still intrigued by the thought provoking lyrics. Before this since the middle of the eighties I had been into thrash metal and wanted everything heavy unless it was older music that I had nostalgia for. I also walked around with a chip on my shoulder constantly. So I wanted to go and pick up another tape from the record store for my drive home, so I looked up their album expecting to possibly throw it out there window on my drive home. I bought two albums that day in the most eclectic purchase I ever made, this and"A Vulgar Display of Power" by Pantera. I listened on the way home and liked it almost front to back. Still do. I suddenly saw merit in this type of music. It opened the door to me buying REM records and other activities I wouldn't have otherwise looked into and also losing that chip on my shoulder. It all started with them though.

This album set me onto jazz 20 years ago. My first notable musical influence will always be Igor Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" from Fantasia, which I saw at the Sunrise Theater in Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream in 1982. My primal rock influences will always be Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, GNR, Metallica, and Pink Floyd. God Street Wine will always be my favorite band. Zappa will always be the guy who expanded my mind. And 1997 will always be the year I burnt out on SRV. Because in 1998, this record took all of that stuff, chewed it up, and spit it out.

That's the stuff right there. He's idiosyncratic and not to everyone's taste, but any guitarist with decent ears will recognize Sco's brilliance.

That's the stuff right there. He's idiosyncratic and not to everyone's taste, but any guitarist with decent ears will recognize Sco's brilliance.

I got it as a promo while writing for my college magazine. Nobody wanted it because it wasn't indie rock.

image.jpeg

Two words. - Duane's tone.

My young teenage self had never heard anything like it. I had to have, and have had ever since, a Les Paul.

This thread is impossible Peen Simmons...shame on you :mad :mad: :mad:

Theres just too many instances of "changed" but for sake of the thread I will go with...

Album Dinosaur JR - Green Mind

Why I had already been exposed to bands like King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Steeley dan, The velvet underground, Zappa, Grateful dead, Genesis, etc, etc, etc REM was probably "my band" at this time but otherwise it Slayer, Anthrax,Janes addiction, Rush ,Metallica, U2, Bowie, UFO....This was 1991 and I had picked up some alternative not quite a zine butdefinitely no Rolling Stone (Even though RS was still respectable back then)...hell not even SPIN (it was still in the large old school rolling stone size) but this 'alternative" magazine had this review in the back for this band Dinosaur Jr...and it had that awesome cover with the little girl smoking a cig. They described this J mascis as a guitar god who did wild solos. I new nothing of the album. I read the review whilst camping with my dad in the back country of New Mexico. The morning after we got back to Tucson i went to the local record store and bought this and it blew me awy...it was old it was new it had this melodic beauty to it......it was freeking full volume all the time but so melodic, much different than the metal stuff, not punk, not metal.... this "just barely" proceeded the grunge explosion

anyway that's one and fwiw I never even picked up a Guitar until probably 9 years later :shrug:

later on I'd say it was just more ideas rather than albums... Brian Eno and his ambience, john fahey for his droning kinda thing, then there was the motorik beat, stuff like Boards of Canada

I'm gonna leave this here *spits*

I'm reading for a description of your encounter with Fahey, but alas nothing.

Based on this:

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/fo...-the-one-album-that-changed-everything.87455/

Album: The Beatles by Los Beatles

Why: I literally listened to this thing every day circa ‘92 and ‘93. It’s an encyclopedia of pop/rock song styles and myth making. Possibilities in sound and style. Probably the first thing that got me to appreciate a lived-in, ramshackle feel on record. It’s the lens through which I (for better or worse) view most rock-type music. An attractive nuisance for budding Anglophiles.
I was just listening to that album today; it remains my favorite Beatles album.

This is mine:
R-1361003-1301317871.jpeg.jpg

While Catch the Wind inspired me to become a singer/songwriter, this album showed me the possibilities. Ranging from rock, pop, folk, Indian-influenced music, and jazz, this album continues to influence and inspire me. Carousel, from my Be the Change CD, is a direct result of this disc.

I made a playlist on Apple Music if anyone wants to listen to it. I'll add more as there are more posts. I even added Theodore's album. :grin:

116039106.jpg

I listened and played along to this album until I wore out both disks. Bought a new one and played the shit out of it as well. Never gets old.

Back