Attention! The Official Slide Guitar Thread

I have a couple of Dunlop glass slides, a newer Coricidin bottle type slide, but the one that sounds best is one my friend gave me that he had made from something he got from a lab at work.
I don't know what it is but the difference between it and a Dunlop slide is immediately noticeable. The glass wall is a bit thicker.

And this guy is working through a new way to play.
He is the lead singer and guitar player for Wide Mouth Mason and he has been posting his efforts, warts and all, at figuring out this Tri-slide method.

This is the only one he has on YouTube, but he has more on his Facebook page.

With me learning to play Foghat tunes and Rod Price lines, I now can declare that I officially play slide. Prior to that, I dabbled in it and play small parts in Standard tuning. In order to play Foghat tunes, I bought a dedicated Gibson SG tuned to Open E to learn all of the parts. The irony is that all of the slide tunes (Elmore James, Petty's - I Won't Back Down, Traveling Wilbury's - Handle With Care, etc.) that I have learned previously falls into place all too well in the open tuning. As for Slide's, I have dabbled with a few brass slides but lately love using the Dunlop Trucks Coricidin bottle. For the Foghat stuff I am using the Dunlop #218 which is a heavy wall and shorter length glass slide.

Dunlop 218 Pyrex Glass Slide Features:

• 20mm x 29mm x 51mm
  • Pyrex Glass Construction
  • Warm, thick tone
I am really having fun playing slide now as I navigate through the different possibilities. Can't wait to get my Supro Lap Steel up and running for more slide fun and yet a different tuning.

Cool Randy. I haven't been to a blues jam in a long time. Are you breaking it out there?
I have tried a few slides and my preferences change like the weather. Usually I like a glass for electric and Heavy thick metal or brass for acoustic
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447274584.886430.jpg

Cool Randy. I haven't been to a blues jam in a long time. Are you breaking it out there?
I have tried a few slides and my preferences change like the weather. Usually I like a glass for electric and Heavy thick metal or brass for acousticView attachment 24274

No, I use the SG for a Foghat Tribute. When I play blues, I don't play much slide and when I do, it has been in standard tuning.

Lately I have been favoring a craftsman 3/4" deep socket. The tone and sustain are unparalleled, but my pinky does tire after a while. I just ordered a smaller pyrex slide and a brass slide to add to my collection.

Lately I have been favoring a craftsman 3/4" deep socket. The tone and sustain are unparalleled, but my pinky does tire after a while. I just ordered a smaller pyrex slide and a brass slide to add to my collection.
I thought you were quoting Lowell George for a second. He used s a Craftsman socket too.

I thought you were quoting Lowell George for a second. He used s a Craftsman socket too.

It's weird, but the extra weight seems to help my intonation as well as tone. The only things I don't like is my pinkie gets tired and the tip of my pinky starts to get bothered by the rough edges where it transitions from round to 3/8"square.

Back