Attention! The Official Slide Guitar Thread

Interesting note: I had an excellent local tech (tours with Meatloaf!) level and recrown all the frets on my Suhr S3. He set the action just high enough so that the strings still retain all their body and fullness and don't fret out and lose the lower mids. (A huge pet peeve of mine. Can't stand those low metal actions where the strings clash and sound thin, though I always gain about an extra 10% of chops on those setups). All of the sudden it seems like I'm a much better slide player on that guitar, lol. I still have to concentrate really hard to keep intonation, but I rarely if ever fret out. Same gauge of strings as before, 9.5-44 .

That is SWEET. I lust for a National Reso. The only thing I'd change is a 14th fret neck joint.
I don't mind a 12th fret neck joint. I may spend a lot of time at the 12th fret but don't much higher often. I like the cutaways on a Reso Rocket though.

I don't mind a 12th fret neck joint. I may spend a lot of time at the 12th fret but don't much higher often. I like the cutaways on a Reso Rocket though.

I'd like to be able to tune to open D but capo at the 2nd for E and still have a full octave. Not a deal breaker but if I have the choice I'd either go with a 14th fret joint or like you said, go with the reso rocket.

natstyo14_832.jpg

I just found this; a feature length documentary on resonator and slide players. I am watching now.

Hope you slide enthusiasts dig it as much as I am right now.

I use the dobro modeller on my Variax. In my opinion, it's one of the best things it does. Maybe I can do a demo some day. In the meantime, here is a short, not great clip that give you an idea of how it sounds.

I use the dobro modeller on my Variax. In my opinion, it's one of the best things it does. Maybe I can do a demo some day. In the meantime, here is a short, not great clip that give you an idea of how it sounds.

That's amazing.

Let's see your slides! What do you use and why?

I have about a dozen. I like collecting and trying new ones but I am pretty happy with what I have.

This one is from a manufacturer in England. It's about as heavy as a socket. Thick walls and 2 3/8" long. It was expensive, but I think it's my favorite. I use it exclusively on my resonator because it's got heavier strings that can handle the weight of the thing.

I'll share other slides I use for electrics, lap style and more.

Let's see 'em!

So among all the greats, I would first nominate David Lindley to the list. 'Running On Empty' would not be the same if not for that massive dripping tone coming out of the guitar parked on his lap.
Play It All Night Long w Zevon was the nastiest slide work I had ever heard.
His work on "Sentimental Hygene" was killer.
I almost bought a pedal steel just because of that album. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks Tom, for resuscitating this thread.

Here's one of my fav versions of a slide classic, written by a slide legend and performed by another slide legend:

If you want to hear many other versions, clicke ye olde linke here and knock yourself out: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=it+hurts+me+too

I've decided to put this song on my must learn list for 2014. So far, the list is one song long, lol. Last year it was "Mystery Train". Nailed that one!

The sincere, half-hearted procrastinators attempt at playing slide: I bought the slide. Then I got on board with some web-based slide guru's (one on every forum, I think) and learned my slide isn't the best. I think it had something to do with either the wrong finger or material or length or relative humidity. I forget now.

I've been playing a little slide this week. I have a "Blues Bottle" which is a fake Coricidin bottle.

Boom, I love Tampa Red, some of the sweetest most articulate slide around.

David Lindley is also fantastic. Tone for days (in those days)! I saw him a couple years ago in a solo show. He played a handful of different Weissenborn style guitars. It was a great show!

The sincere, half-hearted procrastinators attempt at playing slide: I bought the slide. Then I got on board with some web-based slide guru's (one on every forum, I think) and learned my slide isn't the best. I think it had something to do with either the wrong finger or material or length or relative humidity. I forget now.
To each his own. I bought a number of slides looking for the "perfect one." That heavy metal one pictured is great for my resonator. I like glass bottlenecks for electric, but I am afraid I'll break them in class or playing out so I use a thin walled brass one that can roll around in a guitar case without fear of it breaking. Oh yeah, humidity and altitude make a difference too. :grin:

I've been playing a little slide this week. I have a "Blues Bottle" which is a fake Coricidin bottle.
I got one of those too. I can't get it properly sit on my finger.

An authentic Coricidin bottle will go for upwards of $60 on eBay. Thanks, Duane.

Back