Attention! The Official Slide Guitar Thread

BoomBoomBigelow

Genius of Love
Here's just a couple vids to start it off. Looking forward to discussions of various open tunings and styles/genres and techniques.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love playing slide and wish I could incorporate it more into my classes. I dig it all from old country blues to electric rock.

It seems for acoustic I am using more open G tuning. But for electric, I use open D and standard.

Here's a vid of Lowell George talking about slide playing. At about 2:25, he does a cool imitation Ry Cooder.

So among all the greats, I would first nominate David Lindley to the list. 'Running On Empty' would not be the same if not for that massive dripping tone coming out of the guitar parked on his lap.

Check the first video from 0:58 for some great slide playing from Jack Pearson. The second video has some great technical slide playing tips from about 1:48, plus some killer slide playing in the jazz vein. The third one has some good tips from 0:embarrassed:0 1:embarrassed:5 and again at 3:15. to All the videos in this series are worth a full watch, though. Jack is a monster player.

^^^That was cool. Great to some jazz with slide. Don't see a lot of that. Great pointers too.

^^^That was cool. Great to some jazz with slide. Don't see a lot of that. Great pointers too.
Jack is one of those giants that pretty much flies under the radar as far as big money music business goes. He was a member of the Allman Brothers for a short time, and Lee Roy Parnell took him on tour before he had finished his senior year in high school. Not a name the average bear would know, but I'm pretty sure every guitar player in his hometown of Nashville knows who he is!

Thanks for posting Hound Dog Triple B!

I have always enjoyed one of my buddies from another forum named Kirk Lorange from Australia.

Always dug Sonny Landreth

Derek Trucks - Here at 13 opening for the Allman Bros.....Sheesh.

The Master - Hound Dog Taylor!

Wow! That Dereks vid is great. All the clips are infact.

Another slide player I dig a lot is Denny Walley. He played with Zappa occasionally. Look up his solo from Advance Romance on the Bongo Fury album.

Here's some fun swing:

Lets not forget brother Duanne

and the great Bob Brozman (RIP:cry:)

Yeah, I miss Brozman. I have a few instructional vids that worth their weight in gold.

Here's Denny Walley on slide with Zappa. A different recording than that on Bongo Fury and not quite as inspired.

A very slow version of this song. Be patient. Solo comes in at 3:15.

OK, it's all well and good to see some excellent examples of slide playing (ie: above), but how about some instructionals?

I set the action higher, bought a brass slide and started here:

:thu:

I don't have much to contribute, but I have been enjoying this thread immensely.

I do a pyrex slide on my ring finger in standard tuning. But everyone has to find what works best for them.

OK, it's all well and good to see some excellent examples of slide playing (ie: above), but how about some instructionals?

I set the action higher, bought a brass slide and started here:

:thu:

YES! It's hard to get the knack at first. Discouraging. But, I found open tunings to be engaging. Currently enjoying open D, acoustic. Also found a glass slide less rattley and lighter, easier to finesse.

Bullshit! you are an amazing slide player. Post a clip for us to enjoy.

Ha. Thanks. I might be able to record something this week.

In the meantime, here is some more Derek and Co. playing one of my favorite songs of all time.

Back