The official "show your kits" thread

Indeed. I was astounded that an instructor displayed such flagrant disregard for someone else's property.

I've had other teachers use all kinds of my shit without asking. That's how my studio got a lock and only the owners and I have a key to it. :)

I've had other teachers use all kinds of my shit without asking. That's how my studio got a lock and only the owners and I have a key to it. :)

When I worked in someone elses studio I was always having dipshit teachers "borrow" my stuff. That ended after a threatened to beat one of them to a pulp in the parking lot in front of an adult student who I knew wouldn't give a shit and would have my back if the teacher complained. :embarrassed:

Not sure what kind of sound you're going for, but personally I've been very pleased with the Evans EC2 heads (I use the clear ones, but they do have coated ones as well).

I've always played Remo, but a friend of mine has been using Aquarians on his Tama and they sound great. He does use the Evans on his kick.
I have a tendency to prefer drier sounds with lower toms.

Best drummer I've ever had:

MRT-3B-web.jpg

I've always played Remo, but a friend of mine has been using Aquarians on his Tama and they sound great. He does use the Evans on his kick.
I have a tendency to prefer drier sounds with lower toms.

Very good tuning range on the EC2 imo, and I like the internal damping thing on them. Takes off just a little of the ring without hurting the tone that I want (the thing I really hate about pinstripe and emperor heads).
Rarely any need for additional damping with them.

Haven't used Aquarians for years, as noone around here carries them. :embarrassed:

As with all things drum related, trying things out is the key.
I'm very pleased with those heads, but they might not work out for you. :wink:

I hate the Emperors that are on there now, but they were great for holding up to drum students.

I used Pinstripes in high school because I didn't know better. Last time I played a set with them I wanted to hurl. :embarrassed:

I used to love the Fiberskyn 3 on toms, but hated them on snares.

Yup, durable alright. Good heads for peeps who can't tune and require only a low pitched thud instead of good tone. :grin:

Fiberskyns can be nice on the right kit.

I think we've gone a bit OT. :embarrassed:

I had to go all the way back to high school to find one, but it's basically still the same kit. You really can't see much of it though..

drumkit.jpg

I've got 2 kits:

a Gretsch Catalina Elite Jazz kit (18x16 bass, 12x8 ride tom, 14x14 floor tom, and 14x5 snare), in White marine Pearl wrap. Good for smaller areas, or when less volume is required.

This one's a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit. It's setup has grown a bit since this picture was taken, and it gets the bells and whistles - roto toms, chimes, got rid of the cymbal stands in favor of a rack, and the cymbals have grown to 9 when I use them all.

Woah, you look JUST like the dad of one of my friend's from high school! :eek:

Love the Elite Jazz too.

Kerouac, I can only hope that looking like the dad of one of your high school friends is actually a good thing. LOL

I keep it pretty simple.

Tama Artstar, Acrolite snare, 21" Sweet Ride, 13" Mastersound hi hat w/K Bottom.

20130706_200257_zps527afb7b.jpeg

I just got my new Yamaha Live Custom oak drums a few weeks ago. Used them for the first time on a recording session last weekend. I love them! The oak shells combine the warmth of maple with the projection of birch. Toms are 13x9" and 16x15". Bass Drum is 22x18".

Back