The official "show your kits" thread

Aahzz

Habanero Evangelist
Show 'em off!

Here's my Yamaha Stage Custom Birch, with all Saluda Earthworks cymbals.

yscnewhead.jpg

here are mine, but they are currently in Florida. My brother in law (who I am currently living with) just bought a Roland electric kit. I have no idea what kind, but they are fun.

IMG_0304.jpg

3a9yhe8u.jpg

a3epy5uh.jpg

It my (actually Mrs W's) Noble and Cooley kit with zildjian a and k custom
Cymbals. It's now the house set at Premier. And there are three toms although we usually leave one off. My favorite kick drum in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Change yer heads Mark! :mad: :helper:

My kit, btw...
Yamaha Beech Custom (Lime Green, fuckers), TAMA Gladiator Simon Phillips signature snare, Iron Cobra pedals, assorted Zildjiian and Sabian cymbals, Gibraltar rack.

Scaled down a bit recently, only use the full overblown bastard on bigger stages. :wink:

drumkit1.jpg

drumkit2.jpg

I have a problem spending money on heads when within 24 hours of the kit being reheaded some student will make each head look like a different section of the moons surface.

How the bloody fook do they even do that? :embarrassed:
Unless tuned very low, that shouldn't be possible. Well, not with fairly normal drumming technique applied. :wink:

How the bloody fook do they even do that? :embarrassed:
Unless tuned very low, that shouldn't be possible. Well, not with fairly normal drumming technique applied. :wink:

In our performance classes we have lots of self taught adult student drummers who won't listen to me regarding proper hand technique or how to hold a drumstick so that its not a weapon. The kids are usually in private lessons there in the studio and I can usually have their teacher (Tyler these days) bust their chops about stuff like that.

Adults know it all.

In our performance classes we have lots of self taught adult student drummers who won't listen to me regarding proper hand technique or how to hold a drumstick so that its not a weapon. The kids are usually in private lessons there in the studio and I can usually have their teacher (Tyler these days) bust their chops about stuff like that.

Adults know it all.

Yeah, it's become a natural kind of thing for me. Don't think I've dented a head in about 20 years or so. And I play quite fooking hard. :embarrassed:

735798_2612983899351_621310566_o.jpg

Mapex Pro M Maple. At one point it was an 8 piece, but I needed money and really didn't need such a massive kit, so I downsized. I did have a 22x20 kick though and I kinda miss it. :embarrassed: This one is much more manageable. Cymbals are pretty meh, but when I need nicer ones I have a ton of drummer friends that I can borrow for recording. I do love my crash cymbal though... it's a cracked Sabian AAX Rock Crash (16") and somehow the crack has given it the perfect decay. It's a bit dryer sounding, but I love playing it.

Currently it's using Clear Emperors (because I had students wailing on them and I needed something sturdy) but I'll be swapping them for something coated soon. Might try some Aquarians? :shrug:

735798_2612983899351_621310566_o.jpg

Currently it's using Clear Emperors (because I had students wailing on them and I needed something sturdy) but I'll be swapping them for something coated soon. Might try some Aquarians? :shrug:

Not sure what kind of sound you're going for, but personally I've been very pleased with the Evans EC2 heads (I use the clear ones, but they do have coated ones as well).

Here is what happened at Premier Music: We used to have another drum instructor who also taught a recording class. During one of his sessions, he decided that it would be a good idea to play the kit with marching snare drum sticks. I had spent two hours of my own time re-heading and tuning the kit a week prior to his recording class. I came in the next Monday to find every head dented, tension rods on the floor, and a broken marching snare drum stick. Let me repeat that last part: A BROKEN MARCHING STICK. Do you know how much force it takes to break a regular drumstick in half, let alone a tree trunk-sized marching stick?!? I was furious. That particular instructor no longer teaches at Premier. Anyways, that will not happen again when I get around to putting a fresh set of heads on the kit.

For the record, Mark is correct that many of the drummers in the classes play with excessive force given the room and the repertoire; but I can attest to the fact that the heads were not destroyed by the students. They didn't even have a chance! Lol.

Here is what happened at Premier Music: We used to have another drum instructor who also taught a recording class. During one of his sessions, he decided that it would be a good idea to play the kit with marching snare drum sticks. I had spent two hours of my own time re-heading and tuning the kit a week prior to his recording class. I came in the next Monday to find every head dented, tension rods on the floor, and a broken marching snare drum stick. Let me repeat that last part: A BROKEN MARCHING STICK. Do you know how much force it takes to break a regular drumstick in half, let alone a tree trunk-sized marching stick?!? I was furious. That particular instructor no longer teaches at Premier. Anyways, that will not happen again when I get around to putting a fresh set of heads on the kit.

Holy fucking shit! :eek:

Having had the pleasure (eeh..) of working with marching sticks, I can confirm that does indeed takes quite some work. And brute force. :embarrassed:

Back