The Official Rom-Com thread

angry tele

L'effet c'est moi
finally its here...list your top 50 or so rom-coms in order of greatness/watchability

10. blame it on rio. ok , its a total creepfest (old dude bangs best friends very young daughter, yikes) but its funny and michelle johnson is smokin hot in it.
9. peggy sue got married. time travel, nik cage and a still hot kathleen turner? nuff said.
8. midnight in paris. not woody allens best but its cute, and crafty and rachel mcadams is in it.
7. 16 candles. obvious choice for rom-coms is the 1980s and nothing says 1980s more than molly ringwold.
6. it happened one night. really old movie but its really good. clark gable is a freakin weird dude, but funny as hell.
5. groundhog day. bill murray at his best. as he says, "the most perfect script I ever read"
4.some like it hot. an oversexualized marylin monroe playing uke? yes please.
3. roman holiday. audrey hepburn looking amazing.
2. annie hall. not woody allens best but it is an timeless classic. one of the best.
1. dirty dancing. by far the greatest rom-com ever made. "you just put your pickle on everyones plate college boy, and let me handle the hard stuff" classic Swayze.

Last edited:
i just realized some of these are screwball comedies and not traditional rom-coms,
maybe we should just expand it to chick-flicks in general.
then we can include amazing films like Mean Girls, Legally Blonde, Bring it on 1 and 2, Clueless Jawbreaker, etc;

Where's 'Play It Again Sam', with a young, gorgeous Diane Keaton?
article-2375432-15170445000005DC-584_634x414.jpg

I'm not sure I recognize a rom-com that doesn't have one of the following actors in it:

Matthew McConaughey
Kate Hudson
Kristen Bell
Ryan Reynolds

Before everyone starts telling me McConaughey has reinvented himself, please note that I have spent 4 decades in Texas and, to this day, I have NEVER HEARD A SINGLE PERSON WHO TALKS LIKE HIM. He is a living caricature, a fabrication, Hollywood's idea of what someone from Austin would sound like. He could single-handedly remake and play every role in Schindler's List and I wouldn't take him seriously.

failure to launch and how to lose a guy are pretty good Matty Mc films

I'm not sure I recognize a rom-com that doesn't have one of the following actors in it:

Matthew McConaughey
Kate Hudson
Kristen Bell
Ryan Reynolds

Before everyone starts telling me McConaughey has reinvented himself, please note that I have spent 4 decades in Texas and, to this day, I have NEVER HEARD A SINGLE PERSON WHO TALKS LIKE HIM. He is a living caricature, a fabrication, Hollywood's idea of what someone from Austin would sound like. He could single-handedly remake and play every role in Schindler's List and I wouldn't take him seriously.

Groundhog Day is one of my favourite movies.

Annie Hall is probably the best, and it helped define the genre, but I can't commit to it as a true rom-com because it's kind of existential (at best) about relationships. Woody's rom-coms tend not to have purely happy endings. Manhattan and The Purple Rose of Cairo are great examples of that. Everyone Says I Love You is way underrated, and is positive.

Examples of other good movies that have the same Allen problem: Rushmore, Punch-Drunk Love, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I think that the Ashman-Menken Disney films are borderline, too.

Great ones you neglected to mention: Bull Durham, Say Anything, Moonrise Kingdom, Harold & Maude, The Princess Bride, The African Queen, Adam's Rib, Singin' in the Rain.

All of my favorites had John Cusack in them - Better Off Dead, One Crazy Summer, Hot Pursuit, Say Anything, etc.
Recently, I really liked Crazy, Stupid, Love. Great cast.

Back