The Official Jack's Place 2017 NHL Thread!

Insightful nuke.

Parity is such a factor now in the NHL that things can really swing from game to game. I tend to think that there may be some Oilers holding their sticks a bit tighter now with doubt creeping in but you never know as the modern pro athlete is trained to forget the last game.

It is like any other training though in that it depends upon how well that the trainees buy in.

I tell you who has NOT been impressive.

Pretty much any goalie in the East. If you look at the scores, they're all letting in way more goals than they should be.

If/when they DO get beat, that will be an upset for the ages.

And cost several people in management their jobs.

They get upset in the playoffs every year they get in. This is the second year in a row they won the pesidents trophy and they won it in 09-10 and still got bounced before the finals. It is common place for us Caps fans. A local radio show did a segment yesterday about how Caps fans are all in during the regular season, then bail at the playoffs because they know we're gonna get tossed.

They get upset in the playoffs every year they get in. This is the second year in a row they won the pesidents trophy and they won it in 09-10 and still got bounced before the finals. It is common place for us Caps fans. A local radio show did a segment yesterday about how Caps fans are all in during the regular season, then bail at the playoffs because they know we're gonna get tossed.

I think the President's Trophy is pretty much the kiss of death for all teams.

I recall listening to a radio show where they said something like 80+% of all teams that win it, lose in the playoffs.

EDIT: https://www.thoughtco.com/winning-the-presidents-trophy-2778736

Last edited:
My poor Bruins. Getting absolutely hosed by refs, and when that matters, it means you're not doing enough otherwise.

When 4 of your top 6 defensemen are out, I guess you're going to look tired. I know we weren't Cup contenders, but this is a painful end to the season.

My poor Bruins. Getting absolutely hosed by refs, and when that matters, it means you're not doing enough otherwise.

When 4 of your top 6 defensemen are out, I guess you're going to look tired. I know we weren't Cup contenders, but this is a painful end to the season.

I've seen a lot of the Bruins this year. They have a lot of holes, both on offense and on defense.
But they have less holes than the Flyers do, lol.

I had NOT seen a lot of Bruins this year, and was pretty amazed at the mediocrity of the puck play. Aside from the top tier of forwards, we don't have many who can simply handle the puck (and I include Chara in this, his puck handling has been terrible this series).

I have appreciation for the Big Bad Bruins of the 70's (and grew up watching them), but we're neither tough nor slick these days. It's really difficult to watch, thinking that Chiarelli put us in this mess, but now he's in Edmonton enjoying a much rosier present and future.

Chara needs to retire. We need some solid kids (McAvoy has been a pleasure to watch) and to stop acquiring established players like Backes who are on or entering the downside of their career.

Of all the Original Six right now, we're definitely most-pathetic, and no I'm not forgetting the Red Wings. I can never hate on my Bruins, but it's painful to watch.

Don Cherry is not pleased!

image.jpg

But hey at least the Bruins made the playoffs...

This has been one of the toughest years of my life being a die hard Wings fan.

*sigh*

The Caps are an interesting case. Many people like to say that they are playoff chokers button 09/10 they ran into the hot Habs and the super hot Halak. Another year they were beaten by Pittsburgh which was a very deep and well built team. The thing about them is that they never go unchanged and just try again, they do retool and make adjustments based on their failures which seems like a smart way to go about it. This year they were the number one team defensively in the NHL so one would think that they have their best chance yet to go deeper.

Toronto is a strange team and would be a handful for many out there with the speed that they have. I don't think that I have to go on about Mathews at all... did you see that play the other night when he turned his stick upside down to get the on edge pick off of the boards to pass it out front? Brilliant. The reason he didn't get 20 more assists this year is just that the people getting the passes didn't score.

And the Sabers have cleaned house......................me?
I'd have gotten rid of the kid for a couple of solid pieces, personally.

But, nobody asked me, I guess.

So.....you can write off Buffalo for a few more years.

The NHL is now getting an infusion of insanely talented young players, and the league is trending toward speed. I think that is why the Torontos and Edmontons of the world are on the rise. The "old guard" is getting slower and older, not to mention the salary cap is not helping them. There will be a big (as much as I loathe this word) paradigm shift the next couple of seasons.

The NHL is now getting an infusion of insanely talented young players, and the league is trending toward speed. I think that is why the Torontos and Edmontons of the world are on the rise. The "old guard" is getting slower and older, not to mention the salary cap is not helping them. There will be a big (as much as I loathe this word) paradigm shift the next couple of seasons.
I was amazed at how the Pens allowed the Blue Jackets to hang around and screen the goalie

Defense are so focused on playing the puck and not the man...

Anyway..I'm doing well in my pool..Go Pens............

Chicago only scoring 3 goals in 4 games...no one but no one saw that coming. Preds winning yeah, they were/are a dangerous team but no one expected that.
Pens are looking scary again. And they will get rest as will the Ducks
MTL/NY seems to be the tightest series..no one has really been blown out but Hank is outplaying Price and that's the reason they are winning. SJ/Oilers is a series of different game different response. The Oilers were clearly the better team last night and had Jones not played so well and the posts been helpful it could have been a blowout win for them.
I'm thinking Ottawa will handle Boston maybe tonight. Their style is perfect for the playoffs though I suspect it would struggle against more gifted offensive teams more than against the B's. Toronto is giving the Caps all they can handle, not sure what to think there. They seem to have more desire than the Caps and I think are getting more timely goal tending. The Wild could come back...they have the talent...but they won't cause Bruce Boudreau...

Back