The Oatmeal and the Tesla Model S

Wtf? I can get 230-300 miles on a full charge, depending on local or highway.

And, if you've got an electrical outlet, then...
Which is about what my Mustang gets on a full tank of gas, depending on hour traffic affects fuel economy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Seems like a nice toy, but completely impractical as a normal vehicle. Unless you only drive 20 miles a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can easily get over 250 miles on a charge, and I start out with a full tank every day if I plug it in at night in the garage. It has more cargo capacity than anything smaller than a full size SUV or minivan. It will carry 5 adults in total comfort because the rear seat is huge (except headroom is limited if you don't have the pano roof).

It would not be a practical car if you lived in an apartment building or condo where you couldn't install a 240 outlet. Or if you drove more than 250 miles round trip each day.

But it is a nice toy...:wink:

I can easily get over 250 miles on a charge, and I start out with a full tank every day if I plug it in at night in the garage. It has more cargo capacity than anything smaller than a full size SUV or minivan. It will carry 5 adults in total comfort because the rear seat is huge (except headroom is limited if you don't have the pano roof).

It would not be a practical car if you lived in an apartment building or condo where you couldn't install a 240 outlet. Or if you drove more than 250 miles round trip each day.

But it is a nice toy...:wink:

I am not anti Telsa. I'm glad they found a market and people seem to like them. However, I drive more than 250 miles on most days. I drove 600 miles yesterday. That's 120 miles short of the range of one tank of fuel in my diesel Jetta. I would never consider and electric car until it is a truly functional option. I never know what each day my bring. I might drive 20 miles round trip to work then back home. Or I could have to respond to an emergency call and might have to drive 700 miles round trip. Until it can be refueled or recharged in a reasonable amount of time (under 5 minutes) I am not interested. So for me it is not useful as anything more than a nice toy, and honestly not even close to the toy I would choose.

90% of the drivers don't drive anywhere near that reverend1...you are an anomaly or a long distance trucker :grin:.

I wouldn't buy one because they are more than I would ever pay for a car but they are clearly not toys as they are all over the place here. Hell there are a lot of Leafs around here too and they only get about 80-100 miles in a charge. Gives you some idea of how much driving is typical for most people.

I think it's a great technology and shows that it CAN work rather than saying it can never work so why even try. Now if they get it to 500 miles it might be good bye to big oil and hello to cleaner air..especially around the refinery up north :eek:

90% of the drivers don't drive anywhere near that reverend1...you are an anomaly or a long distance trucker :grin:.

I wouldn't buy one because they are more than I would ever pay for a car but they are clearly not toys as they are all over the place here. Hell there are a lot of Leafs around here too and they only get about 80-100 miles in a charge. Gives you some idea of how much driving is typical for most people.

I think it's a great technology and shows that it CAN work rather than saying it can never work so why even try. Now if they get it to 500 miles it might be good bye to big oil and hello to cleaner air..especially around the refinery up north :eek:

You misunderstand my use of the word toy. I don't mean in a negative way, but in the way someone's '66 Corvette is a toy. A car you own for enjoyment and drive on the weekends, but not your primary vehicle.

Oh I see...

Then again I currently drive 8 miles to work soon to be 16..and while I used to drive 35 to work in any case an electric car would work though the Leaf would be cutting it tight for the 70 mile a day commute. I see a lot of Teslas and Leaf during commute hours so they aren't toys but primary vehicles. The toy is probably the gas powered car used on the weekends for long trips in those households or the '59 Vette :grin:. It's also true that most (but not all) people that have a Tesla have it as a second (or third) vehicle

Still a step forward and more likely that fuel cells IMO

I am not anti Telsa. I'm glad they found a market and people seem to like them. However, I drive more than 250 miles on most days. I drove 600 miles yesterday. That's 120 miles short of the range of one tank of fuel in my diesel Jetta. I would never consider and electric car until it is a truly functional option. I never know what each day my bring. I might drive 20 miles round trip to work then back home. Or I could have to respond to an emergency call and might have to drive 700 miles round trip. Until it can be refueled or recharged in a reasonable amount of time (under 5 minutes) I am not interested. So for me it is not useful as anything more than a nice toy, and honestly not even close to the toy I would choose.

And that is why I said electric cars are not going to work for everyone. But they can work for 90% of those that have a place to charge them overnight. The problem was your original post of "Seems like a nice toy, but completely impractical as a normal vehicle. Unless you only drive 20 miles a day." This is totally untrue.

It's also true that most (but not all) people that have a Tesla have it as a second (or third) vehicle

This is true that most owners do have other vehicles in the household. There has been one trip in the past year that we had to take the gas powered car because the Tesla would have been inconvenient.

But other than that, the Tesla is my primary daily driver. This is the case of every other owner that I personally know. The longest road trip we've taken was 475 miles round trip and we used the (free) Tesla superchargers.

I will admit that I am not sure that I'd be willing to go all electric vehicles just yet.

I agree they are a perception changer too, the perception that electric vehicles are slow and very limited in range (see GM EV for details). The range is less limited and they are hardly slow
Did you see this?

I agree they are a perception changer too, the perception that electric vehicles are slow and very limited in range (see GM EV for details). The range is less limited and they are hardly slow
Did you see this?

Anyone that knows anything about electric motors would know they aren't slow. They're just impractical st this time. Anything that limits my ability to go when and where I want in the timeframe I want us unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dig the S. I'd like to see them bring the roadster back w/ a more appealing design.

I wish there was a deuce-and-a-half that was electric. We run our hay truck about a mile a day (over the course of an hour), where it mostly just idles burning diesel and oil. Gotta be able to haul at least 2000 lbs of cargo, though.

Back