The next chapter

I'll land something. I'm not too worried about that.
I just want to know what so I can get on with things and get back to helping my customers.
Right now, many of them had taken a wait-and-see position or they are happy to talk and plan, but they're not buying.
So, busy work but not a lot of revenue.. muddies the future even more.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Not the job thing. Hiring manager seems to be dragging his ass on things.

The company that is buying out networking biz just signed an agreement to buy Brocade....which is being bought by Broadcom at the moment.

Alright everybody! When the music stops, you know what to do.

So Extreme gets the networking business with no competing bids.

Sale hearing is next Thursday.
There were some objections from other companies that we do business with, most were lifted.

If all goes smoothly, the deal should be done by the end of June.

Hopefully, that means we'll start hearing about personnel movement.

In the meantime, I closed two significant deals and got a kudos from my boss.
My mid year review was last week and it went well.
I think he wants me to stay and learn the voice and contact centre stuff.

First round of personnel non-announcements:
Only 3 sales reps and one sales engineer are getting offers, in Canada.

It isn't me.

According to my manager, everyone on that call was confused about the choices.
He couldn't tell me specifics because those folks may not know their status yet, but it's not even the person that I'd expect to get an offer.
He, his boss, and the country leader expected at least three sales engineers to get offers, me included.
The weird thing is that none of them were involved in choosing those on the list.

Things might change, but that's what we know right now.

I'm on vacation and spending money on the house, because, ya know, that's what you do when you don't know what your future holds.

Also, that competitor that I was talking to a while ago contacted me today to see if I was still interested.

My dream would be to get a severance package and a job offer on the same day.

I guess at least now you know and can start moving forward. Hopefully there is a better job with that competitor right around the corner. The severance and new job sounds like a perfect silver lining.

Last edited:
Good luck DCF

FWIW dreams can come true. My dream was to get a severance plan and retire...and I did. Here's hoping you get your dream chears

Meeting with the sales guy went well.

I've got a technical interview tomorrow in which I have to present to a team.

It's not really a role play, but it's not real. I hate that.
I'd be infinitely more comfortable if they snuck into a meeting I was running with a customer.

Well, we'll see what happens. I think this will be the make it or break moment for this particular opportunity.

Meeting with the sales guy went well.

I've got a technical interview tomorrow in which I have to present to a team.

It's not really a role play, but it's not real. I hate that.
I'd be infinitely more comfortable if they snuck into a meeting I was running with a customer.

Well, we'll see what happens. I think this will be the make it or break moment for this particular opportunity.

Give 'em hell! :thu:

You ARE running a meeting with a customer - your potential new employer. You are the product. Run the meeting like you run all of your meetings. If you're what they want, it will go well and they'll get you an offer letter ASAP. If not, best to find out now.

You ARE running a meeting with a customer - your potential new employer. You are the product. Run the meeting like you run all of your meetings. If you're what they want, it will go well and they'll get you an offer letter ASAP. If not, best to find out now.
Good point.
It still feels like a role play, though.

I'll try to drop it, but ... this is about your mentality in context. All of life is role play if you look at it a certain way; this is NOT a fake sales presentation, it's a damn real one: you are the product.

Now go close it.

Love,
Former Corporate Sales Manager

I'll try to drop it, but ... this is about your mentality in context. All of life is role play if you look at it a certain way; this is NOT a fake sales presentation, it's a damn real one: you are the product.

Now go close it.

Love,
Former Corporate Sales Manager
I get it and I know you're right.

I just get hung up on the idea.

Anyway, I got there yesterday and they had postponed it.
I didn't know because we had been communicating via my home email address and I don't carry a device that can access that while I'm on the road - at least via a client.
I did have my iPad with me and was about to access webmail when they called to let me know.

I could have my home email linked into my Gmail account, I suppose.
I'll have to look into how well that works from a mail management perspective.

On another front, a technology partner that I've been working deals with doesn't have a rep in my area. I mentioned that I'd be interested if they saw the need to have someone here. He is going to mention it at their next executive meeting.
I helped them get on a province- wide vendor of record list that all of the public sector uses for procurement.
I could spend my days beating that market to death and be more than busy enough.

Are you not working right now? If you have day time on your hands, you might go to some networking events NOT looking, just enjoying, and see what turns up.

I went to a professional event at one point when I was job searching, and felt "too experienced" for a cattle call event (read: too old and expensive) and got bummed out and sat down in the lobby to feel sorry for myself. Had a nice chat with the nice lady beside me. She wound up being the Director of HR for a large and desirable employer, and got me a job within a week.

Hang in, good things are coming for you. I can feel it.

Back