The new Joe Bonamassa single is...

He's singing in his key for a change. Pretty good IMHO, because I usually despise his singing.

Chris Isaak does moody, atmospheric songs like these better.

I got that vibe as well, but the voice and guitaring aren't even close. Then it got me thinking of bands like the Cruzados, Mason Ruffner, and their peers from the '80s. This is surprisingly good and while I missed part of it responding to the thread, up the chorus after the solo I didn't hear any of his Eric Johnson-isms, which tend to be a huge crutch for him (or at least for me to listen to). It also reminds a bit of Lone Kent, but without that crazy cool guitar stuff.

Chris Isaak does moody, atmospheric songs like these better.

Yeah, Bonamossa doesn’t have the right vocal timbre for this. But since he came up…how great would it be if Isaak, Bonamossa, and Hart would do an album together?

That was fine. Nothing I have the desire to hear again. Same as anything else by JB.

In related news, I'm going to a Chris Isaak show later this year, and I'm pretty stoked.

Does the groove on this bother anyone else? There's just too much going on at the beginning and the pocket is too crowded. At least in my opinion. The song is also not that interesting to me. His vocal range isn't really wide enough (not just in register but dynamically) to make something like this special. And honestly, this song would be better served by a video without the obligatory "band recording in the studio". If I were making this video I would do something more interesting with the actual visual/storytelling element. A song like this is a departure from his usual fare and could potentially have a little breakout/crossover thing if done right. I feel that it should not have a clumsy, outdated and stereotypical video treatment - especially if they had any vision of pushing him a little more into the mainstream.

Does the groove on this bother anyone else? There's just too much going on at the beginning and the pocket is too crowded. At least in my opinion. The song is also not that interesting to me. His vocal range isn't really wide enough (not just in register but dynamically) to make something like this special. And honestly, this song would be better served by a video without the obligatory "band recording in the studio". If I were making this video I would do something more interesting with the actual visual/storytelling element. A song like this is a departure from his usual fare and could potentially have a little breakout/crossover thing if done right. I feel that it should not have a clumsy, outdated and stereotypical video treatment - especially if they had any vision of pushing him a little more into the mainstream.

I can't and won't argue with any of points, but despite all that it is the most listenable thing I've heard from him to date. He's undoubtedly a great player, but he's yet to make me a fan...not that he gives a shit. :thu:

Actually, I'll argue about one thing (cuz ima douche)...the video. And that's only to say who gives a crap? Does anyone watch videos anymore. I hit play and went back doing work in other browser tabs and programs.

I don't hate it, but to me it sounds like he's trying to sound like someone else, rather than show off his own talent.

It's just so.........cliche.

I dunno.......he lost me at the black backup singers singing "Let's drive".
Lots of creativity there, Joe. Way to step outside of the box.

I agree with you that the rhythm section is too busy. I think it would have been more effective to have it start out with sparse instrumentation and slowly build up in intensity over the course of the song.

The 'driving' acoustic just did not fit at the beginning. That would have worked better I think if they had done the intro and first verse/chorus without the acoustic and made that a bit more sparse. Then kicked in the acoustic and the subsequent groove at that point. Not a bad song a t all. He has just never gotten my attention musically, though he is obviously a killer guitar player.

That was fine. Nothing I have the desire to hear again. Same as anything else by JB.

In related news, I'm going to a Chris Isaak show later this year, and I'm pretty stoked.
I went to a few in the 90's. Haven't been in a long time. He puts on a good show.

Regarding the OP, I don't hate it. But it does totally remind me of a Chris Isaak tune. Maybe if he cranked his voice into some sort of overdrive or wail in a bridge/chorus, returning to the quiet, sullen vibe after, it would be more interesting. As it is, it seems disposable to me.

I don't mind the vibe/rhythm section.

I like how he avoids the Eric Johnson stuff in his lead break. I'd like to hear what some jazz influences in his playing would sound like. I'd like to hear the drums w/a lighter touch , played more sparely in the intro, then build it up, as others have mentioned. Maybe play around w/the groove and jam it out a bit more in the intro.Really stretch out the dynamics & spacing of the arrangement so it really build up.

Just me though. I'm a fan, & it's his song, not mine.

I actually like it better than most of his songs. It's actually a little restrained for him. :shrug:

But I would have liked it better if after the solo the whole thing would have either modulated or at least shifted up a gear. Feels like the whole song is to one never-deviating click track.

Back