The Mars thread

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
So, you guys with scopes are probably aware that we have an opposition of Mars coming up (May 22 IIRC). That means starting next month we can start seeing detail on the planet.

Mars is one of my favorite telescopic targets. And since I can observe it from home, I can get in a lot of work when the weather cooperates. I'll post a sketch or two in this thread later when things heat up.

So dust off those scopes folks, I don't want to be the only one posting in this thread now... :P

No replies yet ? I don't even own a telescope yet, so I can't post pics of it. I love perusing the nasa raw images from the rovers though. Google earth has a very cool Mars section w/ some great, high-res images of the surface, taken by the Mars Orbiter. I'd give my left nut to be able to see it in person.

I have been thinking of doing some Mars art based on a visualization exercise I came up with years ago. I would look at an aerial images, then visualize as clearly as I could, what it would be like to stand in a certain spot shown on the aerial image.

I was considering getting a nice scope until I saw how heavy they were. Now I'm considering some nice Binoculars, the huge ones w/the tripods- they seem to be fairly light, & powerful as well.

Here's a great image from the Curiosity rover:

pia19839-galecrater-main.png

Cool pic - you are right, there is a wealth of amazing Mars pics available online.

If you do the Mars art thing I'd love to see it.

Binoculars are excellent for viewing the night sky, lots of folks recommend them for someone starting out over a telescope. They are more for wide-field views of starfields and the brighter deep space objects though, and less useful for the planets.

Would you post some recommended viewing instruments? Preferably something a general idiot could use.

Would you post some recommended viewing instruments? Preferably something a general idiot could use.

My default recommendation is a small-to-mid-sized dob. Simple and versatile, will give great views of planets as well as tons of deep-sky action:

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...12/sc/398/p/101452.uts?refineByCategoryId=398

Here's good reading for anyone considering a first telescope:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipment/choosing-astronomy-equipment/

I've wanted a scope but my mind's eye would see Hubble images and the scope would give me fuzzy small images :embarrassed:

but seriously it's too bright around here and I'd need to drive quite some ways to get dark enough...or buy a boat. Either way I can think of better ways to spend my money but will welcome all the pics you guys get :thu:

I'd love to get into star gazing but like nuke_diver - it's far too bright here (though I do think I saw orions belt whilst sitting out in my hot tub one night which was super cool)

How far out of a mid sized city with all the light pollution that goes with it would you have to go to get a decent view?

I'd love to get into star gazing but like nuke_diver - it's far too bright here (though I do think I saw orions belt whilst sitting out in my hot tub one night which was super cool)

How far out of a mid sized city with all the light pollution that goes with it would you have to go to get a decent view?

For bright planets, light pollution is not an issue, unless you have a street light right in your face or something. You could view Mars from Manhattan if you want.

Limiting magnification on my telescope is about 300x, allegedly. I can get up to =750mm/6mm*2. . what is that. . .250x? Anyway, I've never had much luck with Mars, it's just too damn small. Jupiter I've had a little success with.

May 22 you say? Might have to check it out :thu:

jupiter.png

Well the weather has been really crappy this spring, but in the last couple of weeks I've finally got some nice Mars work in. A couple nights ago it was fantastic - the air was as steady as it ever gets, and that is really important for planet work. Even with modest magnification the visible detail was really fantastic.

And an extra bonus - Saturn is also near opposition and is just a few degrees from Mars in the sky. And currently it is looking fantastic, with the rings swung about as wide as they get.

Mars will still be close enough to see good detail for at least a couple more weeks, so the telescope stays handy by the back door, along with my mosquito defense gear.

I have three sketches done so far, will post soon.

Back