The Les Paul Jr Kit build thread. Now with video!!!!

Knox in Box

Rustbelt refugee.
This one should be somewhat easy and a lot quicker than the last kit thread I had. I learned a lot and just now decided to forgo any painting. You'll see why.

Got this kit from my wife for Christmas:

FB_IMG_1514141630802.jpg

IMG_20171224_200410.jpg

Yes,I knew it was coming, and I picked it out myself. What I didn't know is how attractive the natural mahogany would be when I hit it with some water.

IMG_20171224_200901.jpg

Anyone paying attention knows I was asking around for paint options before and had settled on surf green. Even bought a spray machine to do it, but now I can't stand the thought of covering that beautiful wood. Looks like a tru oil finish will be in order, and I might do cherry red. Though that color is cliche as all get out.

Neck is a nice shallow D profile and gets are edged nicely, no sharp edges hanging out.

IMG_20171224_200430.jpg

More to come.

I'll be winding my own P90 for this build as well, stay tuned.

Looks like a tru oil finish will be in order, and I might do cherry red. Though that color is cliche as all get out.
Consider forgoing the red stain altogether and just go straight TruOil...you can get a good reading on how it would look by applying some in the pickup rout...

Consider forgoing the red stain altogether and just go straight TruOil...you can get a good reading on how it would look by applying some in the pickup rout...
That's sort of the plan, though I had grander plans and feel like I'm copping out if I do that...

As the official Jew of MWGF, I will weigh in on this. My wife’s family always exchanged gifts after dinner on Christmas Eve (after a traditional dinner of steak sandwiches) and on Christmas morning opened one present “from Santa” and the stockings on Christmas morning.

IMG_20171227_084208.jpg

The headstock shape I worked out. I also tried the red dye I have and decided that I want neither natural, nor red. I'm back to Surf Green, though that well set me back time wise again.

Last edited:
One thing I didn't realise when I told my wife about it is that it has a Blackwood fretboard. That is like 1.5 times harder than some forms of ebony. This should be really interesting.

I had been wondering what they were doing about the whole Rosewood thing.

One thing I didn't realise when I told my wife about it is that it has a Blackwood fretboard. That is like 1.5 times harder than some forms of ebony. This should be really interesting.

I had been wondering what they were doing about the whole Rosewood thing.
Reverend is using Blackwood as well. So far the response has been very positive.

Reverend is using Blackwood as well. So far the response has been very positive.
I was really surprised to see it, thinking I was getting rosewood I first wondered how they got around the CITES thing, then was amazed at how dark and uniformly grained it was.

I only looked at the website to see if they had restocked (they did) and read the description.

It's only 94£ and some time guy. Okay, finishing tools and your choice of pickup.

Stock pickup was only 5.3k, so, a pickup too. I'm upset Iron Gear stopped making their mini humbucker... :(

Did three coats of black RAL lacquer and sanded flat on the headstock.

Found an old logo from the last project where I had covered the paper with tape and cut around the logo. Removed the tape from the paper and used it as a stencil to paint on the gold enamel testors paint. I will be putting a waterside of my logo over top of this hopefully tomorrow.

IMG_20171228_223624.jpg

IMG_20171228_223829.jpg

So far, so good. The first one came out rough and I had to take it off after I had lacquered it once. I decided I couldn't live with it and make a compromise. This one "kann Sich sehen lassen" as they say over here.

I stuck with my ultra nerdy "company" brand. :wink:

IMG_20171229_154703-504x896a.jpg

Time to let it dry over night and then lacquer, lacquer, lacquer...

Back