Forum Biz The Kitt Family memorial fund

How to raise funds?

• Total voters

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I would like to work out either a memorial fund for Jeremy's family or a raffle or both.

Option 1: Gofundme Memorial page (now active). http://www.gofundme.com/9qa10s - I can designate someone from the family to be able to either transfer funds to their bank or recieve checks whenever they want and I think the page can stay up indefinitely so it can be an ongoing thing. It costs 8% of the funds donated to run, but anything like this will incur some manner of cost.

Option 2: Gear raffle here on the forum. We sell raffle tickets and use the forums' raffle system to pick a winner. I'd just like to have the Paypal costs covered since it could be a lot of money so thats 3% or whatever the current paypal rates are.

Option 3 is to set up straight donations through the forum - this is my least favorite because I think it's a little limiting both in terms of folks who might donate and it's not as clear cut. The other two options have "hooks" that I think will encourage contributions from outside of out small community.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this, Mark. I wouldn't have a clue.
I'm a little old school. I can only conceive of delivering to his wife a manila envelope full of cash, Chicago-style.
Which I don't have.

Option 4...if we're doing a gear raffle I may be able to bundle up some stuff and donate it...I'll get back to you on that...

1 or 3.

I'm probably overthinking it, but a raffle doesn't really strike the right tone with me. Just something a bit off-putting about people being disappointed they didn't win a prize for having donated money to a grieving family in need.

Every option has it's own unique appeal to me.

If we do a raffle I have some stuff and a guitar I'd be willing to donate

I'm up for whatever but is there an option of a donation site that doesn't skim 8% off the top? The more money going the right way the better imo and 8% could potentially take a large chunk of anything we put toward it.

Kudos on going for this btw. The internet leave a lot to be desired from a social aspect but stuff like this makes it worthwhile and gives us all hope.

8% seems like a lot. But otherwise, the memorial page sounds great to me. Maybe even for 8%.
I agree but they get 5% and the other 3% are for however they move the money. Thats why I suggested a couple of options. The "service" seems to be good as far as his family having access to the funds on their own though, which I like.

Ok, I think, partly selfishly as I don't feel ready, that we should extend this edition of the recordingfest a month and get more people in. Also, we could use this edition to generate funds for the memorial by suggesting that each participant pay a "royalty" into Jeremy's fund for playing one of his band's tunes.

Cross posting this too, as a way to generate more funds into wherever the money ends up.

Back