The Joys of Driving a 15 Year Old Truck in The Rust Belt.

Prages

User Error
Ran over a bump in the parking garage today and heard a crunch. Rear spring hanger is completely rusted away on the drivers side, and the passenger's side isn't much better. I've ordered new hangers, but now I'll have to limp it home 30 miles and park it till the parts get here and I have time to work on it.

20150506_143916.jpg

Ugh. You might need a pillow to sit on for that drive home...

I'm more worried about the spring going through the bottom of the bed, or even worse, the other side breaking too and the rear end falling out. Luckily, the front hangers are fine, so even if the other side breaks, the axle shouldn't completely detach.

Rust mojo and good luck. We're all counting on you.

The hardest part of the job will be access. The OEM hangers are riveted on, And the rivets will have to be drilled or air chiseled out. There's not much room to work.

I could take the bed off for easy access. It's only 6 bolts and a wire harness. However, who knows how rusty the bed bolts are. Plus, if I'm taking the bed off, I might as well do a 3" body lift, paint the frame, etc. Suddenly this easy, fairly cheap job is costing me an entire weekend and $1000.

I happen to know where you can get a cherry 2007 Ranger 4x4 SUPERCAB, only 60,000 miles, for a very reasonable price...

:wink:

Both rear spring hangers were $150 shipped, and come with new bushings and all the bolts and everything.

Can you do better than that on your '07?

That is crazy.

I would personally try to pull the bed off it were me. It might be a hassle, but it could save you from a much bigger hassle.

I remember going to run an errand in the "shop truck" when we were in Kentucky in Winter of 95/96. The truck wasn't very old at all. It had been snowing for days, and was freezing balls outside. I kept felling this blast of cold air in the cabin and I couldn't figure it out.

Until I looked down.

There were holes rusted through the floor you could fit a watermelon through. Some of them were directly under the seat.

That made for a very ginger and tension filled drive home.

Not even sure what those do aside from being part of the suspension- but drive home mojo out your way.

And I'm glad they do not salt the roads here. :embarrassed:

Not even sure what those do aside from being part of the suspension- but drive home mojo out your way.

And I'm glad they do not salt the roads here. :embarrassed:

They connect the ends of the leaf springs to the frame of the truck.

I'm basically driving home with the rear end of my driver's side leaf spring resting on some rusted metal and not really attached to anything. At least I have three other points of contact (two of them pretty solid).

I made it home safely. No noticeable difference in handing. I wonder if this had been a problem for quite some time and I just hasn't noticed.

I could take the bed off for easy access. It's only 6 bolts and a wire harness. However, who knows how rusty the bed bolts are. Plus, if I'm taking the bed off, I might as well do a 3" body lift, paint the frame, etc. Suddenly this easy, fairly cheap job is costing me an entire weekend and $1000.

No, rust is in!
0906trweb_230_z%2B2009_goodguys_show_del_mar%2Brat_rod_truck_left_front.jpg

Now about that engine you got...

Oh boy. That sucks. And yeah, looks like the bed's going to have to come off.

Might as well replace the fuel pump while you're at it. :(

Back