The Illitch Backplate/Pickguard system vs. Dimarzio Area pickups

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
In searching for a noiseless solution for my Telecaster, I was reminded of the Illitch system:

http://www.ilitchelectronics.com/pgncs-t/

$280 is a lotta coin. I'd also have to add some money for a new 3 way switch, to replace the 4-way switch. The Illitch doesn't like a 4-way switch. But it would allow me to keep the pickups I have now. Which is good, because I really like the sound of them.

Of considerably less cost are a new set of Dimarzios. I could go with the Area T set and the hum would go away. But it's also likely the sound would change, as they are, after all, humbuckers.. Not sure I want that. But at around $160 (less if I can find used), they might be the solution I'm after.

Cool. I've never seen anyone put a dummy coil incorporated into a pick guard. Neat idea. I have a guitar with a dummy coil and it really works well on making single coils silent. Seems like a lot of money for a low impedance dummy coil...which is basically just some wire.

Last edited:
I think you wire these with one lead to the output of the switch and the other to the volume pot input. That would put the coil in the circuit in any switch position.

I think you wire these with one lead to the output of the switch and the other to the volume pot input. That would put the coil in the circuit in any switch position.

I have two worries:
1. The 4 way switch requires the neck pickup to be ungrounded and then re-grounded. Adding a dummy coil could mess with that if I'm not careful.

2. I've never wired anything in my life, so I need a picture to show my tech. When he looks at me like I'm crazy (and he will), I can show him exactly what I want.

Also, here's an interesting conversation with Don Mare:
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pickups/129403-dummy-coil.html

I have two worries:
1. The 4 way switch requires the neck pickup to be ungrounded and then re-grounded. Adding a dummy coil could mess with that if I'm not careful.

2. I've never wired anything in my life, so I need a picture to show my tech. When he looks at me like I'm crazy (and he will), I can show him exactly what I want.

Also, here's an interesting conversation with Don Mare:
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pickups/129403-dummy-coil.html

Yeah, I don't know enough about wiring to be sure how to do it on something complicated. I've seen it done on a strat and a tele, but they were pretty much stock guitars. Interesting bit about how position seems to impact how well the dummy coil works in that TDPRI thread. I've mostly just seen them jammed in the control cavity anywhere they will fit. Mine is mounted on the back of the body, but it is a factory installed thing. I guess Don Mare would know better than most, and especially me, about this kind of thing.

I use a 5 way switch instead of a 4 way switch. I've used this with single coils and stacks. I've never used a dummy coil.
Tele%205way_zpso8pvrcjr.png

Cool. I've never seen anyone put a dummy coil incorporated into a pick guard. Neat idea. I have a guitar with a dummy coil and it really works well on making single coils silent. Seems like a lot of money for a low impedance dummy coil...which is basically just some wire.
I think that Suhrs version goes in the backplate for the tremolo cavity on a strat.

I like the Kinmans Rhys are in my squire but they are considerably brighter than what I'm used to. Just not shrill.

I'm back on this train, and heavily leaning towards the Dimarzio Area T neck & 615 bridge. I'm also considering going back to a 3 way switch as I seem to not care one bit about the series position on the 4 way switch.

I'm back on this train, and heavily leaning towards the Dimarzio Area T neck & 615 bridge. I'm also considering going back to a 3 way switch as I seem to not care one bit about the series position on the 4 way switch.
I put the 4 way in mine but haven't had a real playing situation to try it out in. I've heard that the Area's are really good.

Back