The huge rim phenomenon: Can someone explain it to me?

You mean you didn't have the discman with the cassette thingy.

Aaahh yes...

icarplay-insides.jpg

You mean you didn't have the discman with the cassette thingy.

Yeah, I did. For several years. You know, until I was pretty sure the CD was going to catch on. I also held out on getting a CD deck until I had the capability to burn my own recordings to CD. :embarrassed:

In fact, I was just cleaning out the van and found one of those adapters. The van does have both a cassette deck and CD player, but we got another of those adapters so we could plug an mp3 player into the cassette deck.

I just bought a few of those adapters. I'm going to try and transplant the guts to an 8-track so I can run my iPod in my NewYorker. :P

The car in the original post is referred to as a donk.

It's stupid.

What's worse is people will do this to 1000 dollar cars. Yes, two or three grand ( more?) of rims and tires on a car that is just about ready for the crusher.

Stupid money spent on stupid stupidity.

you'll change guitar pickups and hardware, why not car parts?

Because a car is not a guitar.

When you change pickups or hardware on a guitar, you can easily reinstall the original parts, right on you dining room table in 30 minutes with a soldering iron and a Phillips screwdriver. When you change rims/wheels on a car, not only does it cost a lot of money, it takes special equipment and you can't do this at home. When you bolt a set of 22s on your car, you're altering and most certainly damaging the vehicle's suspension, steering and gearing, resulting in more money and repairs, not to mention dramatically lowering the vehicle's value. Changing out guitar hardware does none of this.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

Because a car is not a guitar.

When you change pickups or hardware on a guitar, you can easily reinstall the original parts, right on you dining room table in 30 minutes with a soldering iron and a Phillips screwdriver. When you change rims/wheels on a car, not only does it cost a lot of money, it takes special equipment and you can't do this at home. When you bolt a set of 22s on your car, you're altering and most certainly damaging the vehicle's suspension, steering and gearing, resulting in more money and repairs, not to mention dramatically lowering the vehicle's value. Changing out guitar hardware does none of this.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

like i said, we're talking about two completely different things. changing pickups and hardware is akin to changing your mirrors, putting new rims on (at least ones that are supposed to be the same size), and new windshield wipers. the types of modifications the "car guys" are talking about here are akin to installing a floyd, scallop a fretboard, install stainless steel frets, and route for humbuckers. of course you can't do those things on your dining room table in 30 minutes with a soldering iron and a screwdriver. but none of these things are what the thread was actually about to begin with.

I have no idea where the trend got started, but I see a ton of these things in south Florida. The local kids call them "donks" as the best car to do this to is an Impala, and the impala logo looks like a donkey. I understand it has something to do with the looking cool/looking like a player aspect of the southern hip hop music scene. I suppose it is no different than the SoCal trend for crazy hydraulic systems, rat rods, or the classic pro street type custom car. I imagine Mr. Darwin had it correct in that the male of the species will often adopt brightly colored plumage, elaborate vocalizations, or other dramatic displays to be noticed by breeding females....or....guys want cool cars to look cool for the chicks.

This thread had longer legs then I would have predicted.

I guess donks strike a chord with folks.

At least now I know what that "Donks" magazine that I always ignore when browsing the automotive section is about now.

I have no idea where the trend got started, but I see a ton of these things in south Florida. The local kids call them "donks" as the best car to do this to is an Impala, and the impala logo looks like a donkey. I understand it has something to do with the looking cool/looking like a player aspect of the southern hip hop music scene. I suppose it is no different than the SoCal trend for crazy hydraulic systems, rat rods, or the classic pro street type custom car. I imagine Mr. Darwin had it correct in that the male of the species will often adopt brightly colored plumage, elaborate vocalizations, or other dramatic displays to be noticed by breeding females....or....guys want cool cars to look cool for the chicks.

I just don't understand this culture at all. Here is what I think when I see one of these clown cars. "what a fucking loser." Rather than spending $4,000 on reliable transportation that allows you to get to work, so you could improve your quality of life and your prospects for the future, you spend 1K on a peice of shit car, 2K on wheels and tire that will destroy the supension and steering geometry of said POS car, and 1K on a stereo for your POS car. Any by having this clown car maybe you can attract another loser with a chicken McNugget for a brain.

I just don't understand this culture at all. Here is what I think when I see one of these clown cars. "what a fucking loser." Rather than spending $4,000 on reliable transportation that allows you to get to work, so you could improve your quality of life and your prospects for the future, you spend 1K on a peice of shit car, 2K on wheels and tire that will destroy the supension and steering geometry of said POS car, and 1K on a stereo for your POS car. Any by having this clown car maybe you can attract another loser with a chicken McNugget for a brain.

pimpin' ain't easy.

A guy who lives in my friend Matt's neighborhood has one of these cars in his garage. I met the guy at a party at Matt's house a few times. He is a totally normal, well adjusted adult who works as an accountant for an international shipping company we all know and love. He has a nice house, a wife, and a couple of kids. I guess my point is that the culture of these kind of vehicles may have started with hip hop stars and gangsters, but it is so mainstream here that accountants have them as fun/show cars.

Saw this guy today on the way home from work :lol:

Hoopty.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture, took it with my phone while driving through the intersection :embarrassed:

Back