The HD 500 HAS PLAYED ITS LAST SHOW

This thread makes me glad I play acoustic. Wow.

I've been playing acoustic for 2 1/2 years.... and I've still had to grow my pedal board. :messedup:

Started with the ToneBone Piezo preamp which EQ's the acoustic great, has XLR and 1/4" outs, two inputs, an effects loop, a tuner/mute button, and a solo boost.

First problem was the effects loop and solo boost are either/or not both. The solo boost is added onto the end of the loop. So, when I put my Boomerang Looper in the mix, I had to get a separate pedal for solo boosting.

I also use a wah and a tuner. And a vocal pedal... but I didn't want any of the audible guitar signal passing through the vocal pedal, so I use the tuner out for that.

I hear you, but I like my acoustic to sound natural for the music I do. I don't even like anything more than reverb on my electric. I think it is saving me lots of money and headaches.

I have a Digitech GNX2000 that I keep around for recording or for gig situations that require low to no stage volume. I can get about any necessary tone from that.

But with the band I keep it simple. Eventually if I keep playing electric live I want a more versatile delay and modulation unit. For now I just make what I have work. If we were doing more 80s stuff I would already have the mod unit since that is essential for that era of pop. The 80s stuff we do is not as heavy on the new wave sounds.

Much respect to anyone who has the patience and attention to detail to work out specific patches for specific parts of individual songs, I'd never have the patience.

Years ago, when I used my Alesis Quadraverb GT as the preamp in my rack rig, it was a case of making some general tones and using what was the nearest at the time. I had one bank of 10 as that worked neatly with my Midi controller. I looked at it as having a 10 channel amp with automatically switched effects rather than a sequence of patches to follow a set list. Concept is similar to that of the pedal board user in that you get something in the ballpark and your playing makes the difference.

Reactions: OGG
Update:

Great news!

After much fiddling, a few custom fabricated parts, a thousand or so expletives, and several hours... I got all of the switches working again. I even put the looper switch back in and cleaned it up real purdy like.

It works like a champ, and looks great.

A perfect time to put the motherfucker on Craigslist.

Hit the road Jack.

:cool::cool:
Here's mine at the moment:

20150716_115806_zpszx4klilh.jpeg

I have 3 or 4 flavors of modulation (chorus, phase, flange, and tremolo if you count that), 2 DDL's (one with a tap tempo), and a comp. I can get "pretty close" to just about everything (within reason) with this. I like nailing tones too, but it's a case of diminishing returns -- as long as you're close enough, you know that the audience really won't even notice.

I don't plan on ever going back to programmable set-ups -- too fussy for live use, as you obviously know.

Best part of that rig is that you can set your phaser on "stun". :cool:

Reactions: OGG
Back