The Great Deals Thread

All I know about attenuators is every single one I've tried (and admittedly have not had some of those super pricey ones) have frustrated me.

Someone help an old man get over his past prejudices?
The Jettenuator is resistive. There's no covering that one up. However, it sounds great, and I've used my 100 watt head at full fucking blast through it at "the baby is sleeping" levels. A quad of 6CA7s just fucking cooking into a resistive load hitting an IR of a 4x12 with Greenbacks is pure heaven.

Thank you! I'm not a "cranked stack" guy, but I really like the ambient sound I get in my little bedroom studio of a 30-50 watt tube combo at around noon for gain. With my various amps, that's window-rattling volume (and I can only stand it for a little while, even with expensive earplugs in). So usually I record using a direct-out on the Egnator or one of the Fenders.

Think this would allow some more ambient miking of those harmonics at volumes I could bear? $99 is a serious investment for me these days.

What’s the deal with these? Did they really used to be 1100 bucks? Anyone played one?
Back in February I bought a Supro Island Series Hampton Tobacco Burst (flame top, 3-gold foil p'up model) and I got a good gig bag thrown in; but if I include the street value of that gig-bag, I still only managed to get 16.8% off the MSRPs from a dealer that I do a lot of business with. o_O

I was trying hard to get a better deal, because I knew I'd be well upside down on resale value if paying that much to own an Indonesian made guitar. I also figured, "some day there will be a blow-out" , but I didn't expect it quite this soon. At least the exact model I bought hasn't gone on sale "yet" but I sure would have bought the blue version later if I could have saved $600 bucks!

However, to be honest, I've had very good luck with Indonesian made guitars (for example a couple higher end Yamaha s I've bought in recent years). But the sound is very good, and the fit and finish is very good too. It's a fairly rich looking/feeling instrument. But definitely, I was interested in getting a guitar with the much hyped "gold foil pickups" and these do deliver a vibey swampy sound that I was looking for.

So I also thought I'd like to get one of the "Acousti-glass" top models with their other variety of single coil p'ups, i.e. their "Vistatone pickups". I thought I'd like to have the Martinique Deluxe with the dual p'ups + piezo bridge and tremolo, but at around $1,300, no way was I going to pay that much for a Chinese built guitar and no case.

Note: The Island Series with the Gold Foil p'ups are made in Indonesia and the Americana series with the Acousti-glass tops and Visatone p'ups are made in China.

Anyway, I saw the Sam Ash ad for their blow-outs in some pop-up ads and, long story short, since the Martinique with the trem was not on sale I opted for the Coronado II instead. Normally $999 on sale for $449. So it arrived last Saturday.

First, I'd say they are a bit night and day between the two models. Whereas my Island Series seems to be built reasonably close to most American made guitars selling at the same price point, the Chinese made Americana Coronado is a different story. First I noticed the sharpest fret ends EVER. They actually catch my skin from time to time, like you have to stop and move your hand back from the way it was moving to avoid a minor cut. Also, the Vistatone pickups are a little bit noisier than the gold foils. [though I should note that both models are hum-cancelling when both p'ups are on; and if your properly wailing on these guitars, the SC hum should not be a problem] I also noticed that the top and back of the guitar make a little squeaky noise together when I grab the upper left bout - kind of like a squeaky toy. There's like this gasket material between the top and back halves. I might be able to tighten up one of the joining screws to make the top/back connection tighter, but it's really not a problem.

So in summary, I agree they were overpriced but I'd say I'm happier with my Island Series model despite paying more. But even with the faults of the Americana Series Coronado, I'd say these are worthwhile guitars to purchase at these blow-out deals if you're chasing that swampy Jack White tone. I read a review that said the Coronado has a "woolly tone" from the neck p'up, and I'd say it really does. With my SFT pedal, it's a hoot. If you're more of a "meat and potatoes" guitar buyer and not into collecting guitars for their unique attributes, then I'd say pass.

On the plus side, I'd add that in addition to some cool tones, and a penchant to provide some raucous feedback, they are also cool retro looking guitars. I was also surprised by the ease of action on the trem of that Coronado. It doesn't have a lot of room to travel, but it's very pliant. Tuning stability is a bit of a challenge since there is a nut and a zero fret. I think some nut lube may fix that. I also hear some "tink" noise from the nut when doing bends, like it's moving side to side a bit in the slot, but again, some nut sauce may help that since the nut is only a guide to the zero fret.

So I'd say they are a mixed bag, but again, if you're looking for something with the Jack White vibe and now with pricing that's cheaper than an Eastwood, these do present an opportunity to those so inclined.

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm not a "cranked stack" guy, but I really like the ambient sound I get in my little bedroom studio of a 30-50 watt tube combo at around noon for gain. With my various amps, that's window-rattling volume (and I can only stand it for a little while, even with expensive earplugs in). So usually I record using a direct-out on the Egnator or one of the Fenders.

Think this would allow some more ambient miking of those harmonics at volumes I could bear? $99 is a serious investment for me these days.
It would absolutely do that.

For my two (so far) YouTube demos I used the Jettenuator as a line out. I did run it with a cab at low volume but the actual recordings are the line out of the Jettenuator into my interface with TwoNotes Wall Of Sound III providing the cabinet IR of a 4x12 with Greenbacks.

Thank you for posting that - very helpful. I think I miscommunicated -- I don't need a direct solution because I love the one I have. It'd be more a question of ambient miking.

Thank you for posting that - very helpful. I think I miscommunicated -- I don't need a direct solution because I love the one I have. It'd be more a question of ambient miking.
Well, it would definite allow the power section of the amp to get saturated without the volume. I've definitely had it low enough where the amp was fully dimed hitting the Jettenuator which fed my Jet City JCA24S 2x12 and you could hear the strings acoustically over the amplified sound. The things you do when you have a baby in the house. LOL The only thing I wasn't able to really get, due to the lack of volume, was controlled feedback, but harmonics were popping and that classic Marshall about-to-explode tone was there.

upload_2018-1-22_14-36-2.png

$299 SDOTD.

Since I don't gig these days, I have no earthly use for that, yet it still calls to me...

The only reason I saw it on sweetwater, is I am looking for a light combo to take wiht me to jam at my neighbors and the price was right, so I googled it to find the weight, and saw the sweetwater ad. It's 53 lbs though, so heavier than I wanted.

Back