The Great Deals Thread

MF/GC appears to be blowing out the Laney Lionheart L5T-112 for $349. Show availability as 11/22, so hopefully not a phony price reduction.

If I wasn't dead broke, I would be on the list.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...eart-5w-tube-guitar-combo-amp/481316000004000

View attachment 37315

Interesting. Mf says 11/22, GC says 12/18.

What I can find about this: Somewhere in 2014 they moved production from the UK to China, spring reverb is now digital reverb and, not a UK Greenback, or even a China Greenback. Can find lots of people bitching about the move to China, people defending it. I can find people who have the new version that say the like it. ... and I can find lots of videos of the UK version but, zero videos of the Chinese version.

Still a lot of amp for $350. As a rule I don't like 5 watt amps. I like this one. At least the UK version.

What I can find about this: Somewhere in 2014 they moved production from the UK to China, spring reverb is now digital reverb and, not a UK Greenback, or even a China Greenback. Can find lots of people bitching about the move to China, people defending it. I can find people who have the new version that say the like it. ... and I can find lots of videos of the UK version but, zero videos of the Chinese version.

Still a lot of amp for $350. As a rule I don't like 5 watt amps. I like this one. At least the UK version.

Yeah, the consensus seems to be that the MIC ones are still built about the same as the MIUK versions, with the differences above noted. For the huge drop in price, I would definitely take that chance.

Looks like a 55Hz G12H-30 from the pics. Interesting.

After youtube/ not finding any videos, even ones that are two years old, still are the UK version, :mad: I started googleing laney L5T China. Hoping to find some clips or something. Found this on the gear page.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...t-l20h-t-lionheart-now-made-in-china.1559440/

That says this is the speaker now.

https://celestion.com/product/17/g12h_anniversary/

,but yeah, pic shows a greenback and, amp's specs say HERITAGE
Originally a G12H was a Greenback. The term Greenback has been muddled a bit. Technically, there were four versions in the '60s, the G12L (light magnet), G12S (small magnet), G12M (medium magnet), and G12H (heavy magnet). There's 5W difference in rating between them. Originally the G12M was 20 watts then got bumped up to 25 watts with the changeover in the voicecoil former.

The Anniversary just doesn't have the green plastic cover on it (which actually changed colors over the years of the original production run, at some points being cream, grey, and ultimately black).

I was thinking the Anniversary was a completely different speaker, a cross between a Green Back and a Vintage 30. I must be thinking of something else.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk. 15% off GC coupon in my email and this qualifies. $305 before tax.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk. 15% off GC coupon in my email and this qualifies. $305 before tax.

tempted on this amp. if you (or anyone else reading this) have a 15% off code they're willing to share with me, I'd love to use it. I am on the GC mailing list but somehow didn't get anything recently indicating 15% off on amps.

Sorry, it expired.

your entire qualifying purchase of $199
or more with your unique coupon code
barcode.asp

t602fzpftqrek
Shop Now
for qualifying products
Maximum discount $500.
Valid thru 11/12/17.

While store inventory may vary by location, special orders are available in-store

...aannnnd the Laney deal is dead - may have been an error, as the price has gone back up to $879.

Good luck to those that ordered at the discount.

It's only 5W for that much?

That does sound a little high but, I would expect it to be a lot more than most 5 watt amps. I have never been a fan of most 5 watt amps. Would much rather hear 15 or 30 with a dirt pedal or a solid state with a really good clean and a dirt pedal. Had the Kustom 5 watt, hated it. Went to a GC one time and they had 4 or 5, I remember Orange, Epiphone, forget the others, hated them all.

That does sound a little high but, I would expect it to be a lot more than most 5 watt amps. I have never been a fan of most 5 watt amps. Would much rather hear 15 or 30 with a dirt pedal or a solid state with a really good clean and a dirt pedal. Had the Kustom 5 watt, hated it. Went to a GC one time and they had 4 or 5, I remember Orange, Epiphone, forget the others, hated them all.
The only difference between them is probably the speaker.

I've got a Jet City PicoValve. Originally it was $299 but got blown out at $99. I run it through either my Jet City JCA24S 2x12 or my Peavey 412MS 4x12 and it sounds awesome. The current Custom 5 head is supposed to sound even nicer and is $249.

The only difference between them is probably the speaker.

I've got a Jet City PicoValve. Originally it was $299 but got blown out at $99. I run it through either my Jet City JCA24S 2x12 or my Peavey 412MS 4x12 and it sounds awesome. The current Custom 5 head is supposed to sound even nicer and is $249.

Just looked at that Custom 5. It looks promising. The Kustom I had, had a volume knob, nothing else. That has bass, mid, treb knobs. The other thing, and I don't have any idea how amps work, just my theory, Kustom and the other amps I didn't like have one preamp tube. I see the JC has two. The Laney I really liked has three. X Stoner had a VHT? he really liked, that had two. My theory, they are just trying to do too much with one pre tube?

Just looked at that Custom 5. It looks promising. The Kustom I had, had a volume knob, nothing else. That has bass, mid, treb knobs. The other thing, and I don't have any idea how amps work, just my theory, Kustom and the other amps I didn't like have one preamp tube. I see the JC has two. The Laney I really liked has three. X Stoner had a VHT? he really liked, that had two. My theory, they are just trying to do too much with one pre tube?
Yeah, you're not going to get a lot of gain with only one tube. In a single-ended amp like that there's no phase inverter, but still. Two tubes gives you three gain stages and a cathode follower (or four gain stages, one being to pick up losses from the tone stack), like a Marshall 2203/2204 (the classic JMP/JCM800 models) or Randy Rhoads' late '70s 1959. Sure, the single ended power amp is going to sound different than either of those (less bass response, less headroom) but, c'mon, almost all the tweed Fenders back in the day had more than one preamp tube working for ya, 'cept for the Champ.

Back