WTF: The Grateful Dead's - 'Wall Of Sound'

Right? And imagine if someone played music through it!
Ha. To each his own I guess. Many of us do like their music though. Not sure how anyone could not appreciate American Beauty, Workingmans Dead or Blues for Allah. All 3 are stellar.

I might agree with some of their more acid tinged experimental odysseys, but the first 2 are straight up country blues albums that set the tone for much of the Americana genre to come.

Deal with this

They wrote some great songs that I find completely terrible to listen to while performed by the Dead themselves. Same way a lot of people feel about Leonard Cohen or Tom Waits.

I guess I find it weird how so many great musicians have played with and been influenced by the Dead yet other musicians slag them off as unlistenable???

I guess I find it weird how so many great musicians have played with and been influenced by the Dead yet other musicians slag them off as unlistenable???

Cohen wrote some amazing songs that are drenched in 80's synths and dated production. Not a lot of people like it, but his songs are hugely influential. Tom Waits voice is enough to freak out dogs, but he's written some beautiful songs. Source material can transcend the performer.

Cohen wrote some amazing songs that are drenched in 80's synths and dated production. Not a lot of people like it, but his songs are hugely influential. Tom Waits voice is enough to freak out dogs, but he's written some beautiful songs. Source material can transcend the performer.

Yep. Plenty of artists like that.

Jerry Garcia's voice really irritates me and I think his tone is horrendous. Doesn't make him a bad songwriter, or tie designer for that matter. :tongue:

Yeah, but first you have to listen, and in most cases enjoy the original performer before they can be an influence.

I like a lot of Dead stuff...and there's a lot that I don't. They have quite a catalog, and I think the only folks that like it all are the hardcore deadheads. :shrug:

Back