The Goldilocks world of Loopers!!!

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
Over the years, I've owned many different loopers... from the original Boomerang with the volume knob to both of the giant Boss Loop Stations. Here's my current feelings on several that are available today:

Boss RC-300 and the TC VoiceLive 3

RC-300-Top.jpg

VoiceLive3-large.jpg

I've lumped these two together as they share some common issues. They're both designed to plug your guitar and vocal mic into them and be able to loop guitar and vocals. Both take up enormous amounts of real estate on any pedal board, and to truly unlock these devices, they both benefit from even more pedals and expression controllers plugged into them.

Nasa flight control at your feet.... and yet they're still lacking in sound quality in places. The effects on the Boss are damned near useless, and it's the bigger of the two boards. The TC has great sound quality on the effects, but the guitar sounds are meh, and the octaver is monophonic and tinny.

So...

Now we're back to a pedal board of selected pedals and trying to find a nice small looper to fill in at the end of your chain.

The TC Ditto looper is one of the tidiest and most useful practice tools you can put at the end of your board.
TC-Electronic-Ditto-Looper-Review-Best-Guitar-Looper-Pedal-02.jpg

I say "practice" because double tapping to stop the loop while live on stage can be challenging.

Enter the Ditto X2.
TC%20Electronic%203-630-80.jpg

This is the pedal I've been using for the past year and a half at our shows. I use it a couple times per set. It allows recording, overdubbing, stopping, and erasing very easy on stage... and it's in stereo. The only drawback is it only allows ONE loop, so no chorus-verse-chorus.

Which leads us to "Goldilocks"..... the Boomerang 3.

Rang-III-Top.jpg

This pedal is the same length as the Ditto X2 and only a few inches wider.... but it provides all the same live looping capability of the VoiceLive3 and the Boss RC-300.

I specify "Live" because the major difference with the Boomerang from the other ones that are larger than most pedal boards is that there's no storage for pre-recorded loops. I know a handful of people who use the storage capability, but honestly if you're doing that, it's probably easier to queue up a sampler with a laptop or an iDevice.

The Boomerang 3 is designed for people who want to record rhythms and melodies live on stage. You have the choice of moving from one loop to another, or if you record a short rhythm track on 3 it becomes the "Master" and will play along with tracks one or two. The two buttons on the right can be programmed to whatever suits your style.... reverse space loops for those Hendrix fans, a fourth loop slot, or even allow all the playing loops to fade out to silence!

My 'Rang 3 should be here soon and I'll start practicing so I can use it at my next gig. :helper:

Thanks for the reviews Baimun. It's interesting how there just didn't seem to be the perfect looper. Hopefully you've found it now, and I'll be looking forward to the next review.

Another great feature of the Boomerang 3 is that it has stereo in and out that are kept separate. If I use an adapter and plug another mic into it (I have a mic with an on/off switch on it) I'll be able to also loop in vocals/beatbox/acoustic instruments and they'll go to a separate channel on the board.

@Chad .... I hear ya. Easier said than done in this area. Flaky musicians who don't show up to the scheduled practices or open mics, guys with different musical directions.... ironically, the closest glimmer I have to someone I could record music with is very similar to me. He's also in a trio... he also sings and plays guitar... he also performs solo with a looper... I can see the two of us possibly collaborating on some cool stuff this year, but we'll probably both be using loopers at the same time. :wink:

Thanks for the reviews Baimun. It's interesting how there just didn't seem to be the perfect looper...

"perfect" is a moving target. Everyone has different requirements of a looper and different amounts of floor space they'll commit to one. I've seen some crazy ass looper guys with an entire stage set up with buttons all over the place, ableton live screens and triggers, and they're running around like the guys who spin plates on sticks. :embarrassed:

Another great feature of the Boomerang 3 is that it has stereo in and out that are kept separate. If I use an adapter and plug another mic into it (I have a mic with an on/off switch on it) I'll be able to also loop in vocals/beatbox/acoustic instruments and they'll go to a separate channel on the board.

@Chad .... I hear ya. Easier said than done in this area. Flaky musicians who don't show up to the scheduled practices or open mics, guys with different musical directions.... ironically, the closest glimmer I have to someone I could record music with is very similar to me. He's also in a trio... he also sings and plays guitar... he also performs solo with a looper... I can see the two of us possibly collaborating on some cool stuff this year, but we'll probably both be using loopers at the same time. :wink:

Easier said than done in any area. I was just bustin your chops. :grin:

Perfect is indeed a moving target, as with most things guitar related. Me? Perfect is simple, and meeting my needs at the moment. I tend not to look too far into the future with electronics purchases, because they become obsolete too fast.

I can't believe
Looping's almost here
I made it through another year
Even if alone

But there's no tears in my eyes
My shows are still full of surprise
I'm rockin' as a one man band...

Nicely explained write up.

Most of my experience with loopers dates back to the relative stone age of such devices, so my view of them is decidedly biased.

I have no real use for one, and even the best of them seem to be finicky and tricky based on reviews. I personally can't be arsed to get to know the idiosyncrasies of a looper. I'm too clumsy, too impatient and my timing sucks in my old age. Trying to lock in a perfectly loopable passage would drive me bat shit crazy.

In the right context, I see them being a very valuable tool. For what I do, they really aren't needed.

Plus, I'm just too old school. I don't even use loops in my DAW's that are designed specifically to take full advantage of them. It feels like cheating to me, which is probably absurd, but that's just how my busy brain rolls. I will painstakingly record 3 identical choruses, often on multiple instruments, rather than copy/paste or loop a single pass.

I know, I'm weird.

Enter the Ditto X2.
TC%20Electronic%203-630-80.jpg

This is the pedal I've been using for the past year and a half at our shows. I use it a couple times per set. It allows recording, overdubbing, stopping, and erasing very easy on stage... and it's in stereo. The only drawback is it only allows ONE loop, so no chorus-verse-chorus.

Had it not been for the Boss RC20XL, this would be my choice. The RC20XL has 11 storage spaces but I like to loop live.

I don't use loops live but I I do use a Ditto at work pretty much very day to make backings on the fly for students to play with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boomerang is here.... I can't wait to get it in my board.

Just playing around with it and I already see some stuff that I love. The buttons are so "quick" (short throw for easy timing). The two "bonus" buttons each have dual programmable functions.

I currently have the bottom button set to overdub with a tap or erase with a long hold.

The button above that will stop all with a quick tap, or if I press and hold it will fade out the currently playing track. Pretty awesome for then end of a song.

Once they're all stopped, a long hold on the overdub/erase button will clear all three loops. Way easier than the VoiceLive 3 needing a menu click and then two taps on a different button. :baimun:

I can't believe
Looping's almost here
I made it through another year
Even if alone

But there's no tears in my eyes
My shows are still full of surprise
I'm rockin' as a one man band...
I see what you did there.
:)

Boomerang is here.... I can't wait to get it in my board.

Just playing around with it and I already see some stuff that I love. The buttons are so "quick" (short throw for easy timing). The two "bonus" buttons each have dual programmable functions.

I currently have the bottom button set to overdub with a tap or erase with a long hold.

The button above that will stop all with a quick tap, or if I press and hold it will fade out the currently playing track. Pretty awesome for then end of a song.

Once they're all stopped, a long hold on the overdub/erase button will clear all three loops. Way easier than the VoiceLive 3 needing a menu click and then two taps on a different button. :baimun:

I look forward to an in-depth review after live use.
I had a brief affair with the RC-50, but it was just too hard to use. It's been in the box for a few years now.

I look forward to an in-depth review after live use.
I had a brief affair with the RC-50, but it was just too hard to use. It's been in the box for a few years now.

Agreed.... I found it not very user friendly for stage. The Ditto X2 has been super simple and reliable for stage use but can only do one loop at a time.

UPDATE:

Between my wife's Dr visits and before yesterday's 18 hour medical marathon, I got some time to rewire my board and work out with the new looper.

I'm running it stereo in and stereo out with my acoustic chain going through one path and my electric path going the other.

Depending on which of the 3 primary loops you start with, there are different ways of using the looper. You can record a loop, then switch to another loop, and switch to a third. This would be verse/chorus/bridge method. Once a loop is recorded, you don't have to be as exact on the timing of the transition from verse to chorus... tap the chorus switch and it will blink and make the transition at the conclusion of the verse loop. Tapping the "stack" button allows me to add additional parts to whichever loop is currently playing. The top button I have set to "stop all" with a quick tap, or if I press and hold, the loops will fade to a stop. :baimun:

A more rhythmic way to use the looper is to record a shorter rhythm loop on track 3. It will start to cycle... and then when you record on loops 1 or 2, they automatically will quantize to be a multiple of that third loop. Example, "Billy Jean". I hit my acoustic to do kick - snare, and then tap on the next kick. It begins to loop... kick-snare-kick-snare - etc.

On loop 1 I record a couple bars of what would be the "bass" line. hitting loop 2 will stop loop 1 (the kick-snare on 3 continues) and I vamp some bridge chords. I can now toggle back and forth between the verse and bridge sections while the kick-snare loop keeps rolling. SO MUCH FUN!!! DANCING-banana

Back