The Gin Thread

surfsteve

Pendejo
As oppressive eastern humidity mounts, I find gin to be an ally. My poison of choice is Bombay Sapphire with some premium tonic (Fever Tree or Q) Today I got some world class weeding/gardening done and managed the finest smoked rib-in chicken breasts
( Stubb's Chicken Rub, cherry wood for smoke) and 2 organic grass fed Ribeye steaks smoked with oak. Twas a good day. That is all. Wife is happy. neighbors are happy (gave them some of the chicken).

i too am a fan of the sapphire.....but not the tonic.
also a big fan of Stubbs sauces....i like the spicy bbq for chicken....well with some sweet baby ray's and a touch of famous dave's devil's spit.

Want to throw your gin-spectations into a tizzy? Try some of the American styles like Aviation Gin that has a really nice lavender/anise/cardamon flavor. Lots of nice Gins on the shelves these days.

My favorite is Hendricks, but it's gotten really expensive the past couple of years. I like Bombay Sapphire too. Beefeater is respectable as is Tanqueray. A friend just started his own gin, Queens Courage. Very smooth.

I've never tried gin, but my high school buddy that lives in Madison, Wisc. raves about some Wisconsin gin made in some distillery up in the 'finger' of Wisconsin that sticks out into Lake Michigan.

I have no idea what the name is though, sorry.

I've never tried gin, but my high school buddy that lives in Madison, Wisc. raves about some Wisconsin gin made in some distillery up in the 'finger' of Wisconsin that sticks out into Lake Michigan.

I have no idea what the name is though, sorry.

that would be either Rehorst or Death's Door gin.

Not entirely convinced that this guy isn't a knob, but his gin is pretty good:
HestonGin-1.jpg

I do likes me some gin.

In fact at this moment in time I've got a couple of litres of Bombay (including 2l of export strength closing in on 50% proof :embarrassed: ), a litre of Bombay East, a litre of Tanquery, a couple of litres of Gordons and the only reason I don't have any Hendrick's is because it never lasts long when it's in the house :)

I tend to drink mine with soda water and a bit of lime as tonic is usually too sweet for me.

I went through a gin phase in grad school (martinis mostly).
Not really a fan anymore.

I love gin.

I always have Beefeater on the bar for mixing, but for my drinks, I go for a Tanqueray or lately, the "Unfiltered Gin 22" from a local small batch distillery: www.dillons.ca
Dillon's will be my go to from now on, but I will try others that come along.

The classic distilled gin was crafted in our copper pot still by passing vapour through 22 botanicals. We present it cloudy — unfiltered to maintain full flavour.
If you were able to reach into a old photo of Hemingway and pry the gin from his hand, it might have tasted like our Unfiltered Gin 22. Why? Because he didn’t do, or drink, anything half glass or without flavour and nor do we. Our Gin 22 is so smooth and flavourful that your next martini should be straight — without the need to get dirty or be embarrassed by a vermouth.

Let this gin take you back to a time when things were done right and appreciated by people who grabbed large animals by the horns — heck, you might even run into Hemingway on your yacht.

Accolades:
Double Gold Medal – 2014 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
Platinum Medal – 2013 SIP Awards, International Spirits Competition
Bronze Medal – 2013 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
Bronze Medal – 2013 New York International Spirits Competition

Yeah, I love Gin and normally go with Bombay. Especially in the spring and summer I enjoy a gin and tonic on a patio.

yea.....i went thru that phase with Jack Daniels in college.....the smell of it makes me wanna puke, now.

I had a very short (maybe 56 seconds :facepalm: ) phase of that with tequila in a bar when I was a student.

To this day the smell of the stuff gives me the boke. Which wasn't particularly handy in my recent soiree to Cancun.

I bought some ginger ale last week because I got some Captain Morgan's on the way home from Mexico and the plane magazine mentioned mixing the 2 is a good Summer drink.

Turns out it's not so I decided to try the ginger ale with some Gordon's last night and it was really nice. I might try it with something a bit tastier tonight.

Back