The future of computers, as seen from 1981

shoeless

Riffin'
ff_1136.jpg

Nope, but keeping track of all those tiny floppies would have been a major PITA.

To be fair you stick a sim, sd or micro into your phone, camera, whatever and you're good to go.... After all they're not that different to super capacity loppys

One trend that consistently amuses me is the continuously variability of sizes of the devices we use. Remember back in the late 90s/early 00s when the smaller the cellphone, the more desired? Now, smartphones are getting larger and larger in order to provide the most useful real estate for the screen, and people have resorted to carrying them in cases on their belts again (something that nobody but the most dyed-in-the-wool dweeb would have been caught dead doing 10-15 years ago.

I love the tiny floppy. How could that keyboard possibly have been useful though? That would be nearly impossible even if you used a toothpick. :tongue:

Predicting the future is hard!
I'm just going by the cover picture here. They essentially imagined a smaller version of current technology. They missed voice recognition, wireless networks, touch screens, cheap memory, color monitors and a host of other technologies.

I used to read this magazine called "Boardwatch" about BBS systems. I remember one editorial where the guy said "No one is ever going to make any money off this Internet thing."

Reactions: Tig
Back