The Future of Car Servicing?

Not necessary; in the future our robot butlers will also maintain and repair our cars.

That is cool tech... but even with that much help, some of us would rather not spend time in the hot garage getting our hands dirty when we can just pay a mechanic an exhorbitant fee to fix it for us.

Very cool, but I'll bet the glasses will cost an arm and a leg, so it would be a wash between paying a traditional mechanic to do the work vs. doing it myself with the glasses.

I do feel bad for mechanics. I have a nephew that is trained, and looking for work. He's over qualified for tune-up places, and not experienced enough for other places. This new innovation is just going to make things harder for him.

Add to that the fact that simple things, like changing a headlight bulb, are now designed to be major work. They had to put my car on the lift and remove the front tire to change my headlight bulb; I have heard of cars that require removing the front fender to change a bulb. Ridiculous.

Very cool, but I'll bet the glasses will cost an arm and a leg,

Col. Steve Austin finds no humor in your comment.
upload_2014-1-23_8-56-26.jpeg

Handy once the problem is diagnosed.

It could be used for any procedure. A complete engine tear down and rebuild is well documented in the Factory Service Manuals. They just need to convert that information to the augmented reality that the glasses deliver.

Now, add in a recording feature to show document what the technician ACTUALLY did, and you've got a winner.

Back