The formulation of a plan...

jelloman

Couch'd Tater...
...not a GOOD plan, mind you, but what can you expect when you start paying attention to what the voices in your head are telling you to do...

About 8 years ago I got fired from my truck driving job, right when the economy tanked and there was double digit unemployment...I survived for 2 years by driving a taxi, often coming home after a 12 hour shift with only 40 or 50.00 to show for it...every instinct was telling me to run, to just hit the road until you found some place to start over...couldn't do it, though, because I had mom to taken care of and a mortgage to pay, so I stuck around...

Now I find myself with just the house holding me down....I have pretty much cut loose from everything else now that mom is gone...once the house sells there is nothing left holding me down, nothing rooting me to this spot...

Oh sure, I have my job...it's a good job with security but I am severely underpaid and really see no prospect for that situation to improve...but it's just a job...I was looking for one when I found this one...and I have a very marketable skill set so finding another one doesn't present me with much stress...

My family is here, and I love them dearly, but they all have families and lives of their own...

So...the possibility exists that the sale of the house, whenever it happens, could put me in a position to be able to take a big risk...quit my job and hit the road...find out once and for all if there is something out there for me...

I can buy a small camper trailer used for just a few thousand dollars and drag it all over the country behind my truck...plus I just received a shiny new US passport, So the whole world is open to me...

If I get a decent price for the house I can probably put 50K away and still have about 20 or 30 thousand to use for this...I can go a long way for a long time on that...

The more time passes the more this idea is standing at the forefront of my consciousness...the only question is will I have the balls to actually do it when the time comes...

052.gif

Has that actually been 8 years ago? Damn...:eek:

I say you have a pretty good plan there, and yes, u gots the ballz :thu:

Last edited:
Do it! Blog about it, starting tonight. Turn it into a book in a few years and live off the $$$ and the movie $$$ that will roll in.

I knew a few guys that lived this way. They picked up the odd job or two as needed in some cool corner of the country and then moved on. They were profoundly happy people and great to be around

Two cats sitting on a fence. One decides to jump off. What happened?

Nothing,the cat only decided.

I'd be more inclined to invest all the money from the sale of that house than to use 20k of it for a vacation, but I'm not sure what's driving this road trip. There's nothing like money in the bank to really de-stress your life. If you are looking for a change, do a little research and find a place that you think you'd like to live, rent there for a year with your 10k and see what happens. Road trips are fun, but if you're looking for a change I don't know if that will deliver.

Sometimes it takes bigger balls to stay put. But ultimately, you'll need to do what's right for you. Either way, I hope you can find happiness.

I will say that if I wasn't married and had 2 kids, I wouldn't be doing what I am doing or be living where I am. I envy those who can just say fuck it all and walk. I say do what makes you happy, if you need a cross country trek to clear the mind, take it.

Sometimes it takes bigger balls to stay put. But ultimately, you'll need to do what's right for you. Either way, I hope you can find happiness.
I can't shake the thought "this is going to be your one chance"...

I could just as easily take the safe route, move into the apartment my sister has available, stay in my job, and continue on pretty much as has always been...it's what the cautious and rational side of my mind is telling me to do...

I'm 51 years old...I can't help but feel it's my one and only shot at it...it's like "if not now, when?"...plus with everything I've gone through over the past couple years i feel like I'm truly alive for the first time, that I just woke up from a 50 year coma...

I had roommates who took a cross country trip; in their travels they fell in love with Northampton, Massachusetts and relocated there.

You have the ability to take this chance, and the desire to do it. Think it over, but follow your heart and head. There is nothing worse than regrets for chances not taken.

I say go for it. My wife and I have a few loose ends to tie up here...then we are gone.
Life is too short to wonder..... what if?

Reactions: DFB
I say if you have wanderlust and the means to follow it, go for it.

You can find a million reasons not to do something... especially something that involves an element of risk or putting yourself in a potentially uncomfortable place. But there's also a reward to these same actions that you'll never experience from the safety of your couch.

Back