DA0914-193765_5.jpg

DA0914-193765_6.jpg

DA0914-193765_7.jpg

DA0914-193765_8.jpg

DA0914-193765_9.jpg

DA0914-193765_10.jpg

DA0914-193765_11.jpg

DA0914-193765_12.jpg

Collector Gary Holub has owned over 45 different Yenko supercars, so when he caught wind of this 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS coupe originally sold from Yenko Chevrolet, he examined the accompanying documentation, which confirmed two very important facts: it was built on the first day of production, and it was delivered to Yenko Chevrolet on September 1, 1966 to become the first Camaro ever listed in Yenko Chevrolet’s inventory records. Records show that it was listed on the General Motors Acceptance Corporation statement as invoice number BN00197, its first Date of Note being September 27, 1966. A later GMAC statement shows it was paid for on November 5, 1967. According to Yenko archivist Warren Dernoshek, those documents confirm that the car remained at Yenko for approximately one year, prompting the obvious question: why? Some believe that this 1967 Camaro, likely built in the 23rd hour of the first day of production, was used to develop the Yenko Super Camaro conversion. That belief, however, cannot be confirmed. What is known about the car is that it was originally produced as a V-8 coupe, most likely a small block car as big block production did not commence until November 1966. In 2012 Gary Holub confirmed its authenticity by examining the hidden serial numbers stamped into the cowl and beneath the heater box opening on the firewall. Holub acquired the car and immediately began an extensive two-year restoration, in the process modifying it to Yenko Super Camaro specifications using date-code correct components.

Finished in the original Granada Gold, it now packs a date code-correct 427 CI engine block using heads, intake manifold and carburetor correctly coded as Corvette L72 427/450 HP components. Other details, including the Muncie 4-speed with Muncie shifter, 12-bolt 3.73 Positraction rear end, factory traction bars, Yenko Green-face custom tach and gauges and fiberglass Stinger hood, further add to the authenticity of this outstanding restoration and conversion. We may never know what purpose was served by keeping the car at Yenko Chevrolet for over a year; there was nothing in the records to show it was itself an actual Yenko Super Camaro conversion. But one thing is certain: this historically significant first-day Camaro is now an accurate rendition of the original Yenko Super Camaro, restored by one of the leading lights in the Yenko community.

Wow. These collectors make me rant about human excesses but I'll stuff it and just say that this was and remains a remarkable car, period correct stickers or not. And to think my first action when I get a new car is to remove all exterior badging. It's like walking around with my name on my forehead.

like those silly polyglass wide ovals could do anything but sit there and roast, if you dropped the hammer on that 427:grin:

i sometimes wonder why they (Yenko and GM COPO) bothered to create these cars.....as there was NO traction that could be had with them. i had a friend while i was in the USAF, who had a Yenko Nova SS, 427, 4 speed......and we could be cruising at 50 mph in 4th gear, and when he'd punch the gas, the back tires would start smoking and lying rubber......the massive amount of torque would not allow you to get off the line quickly. a 350 LT-1 of the day, 1968, was actually quicker off the line.

Last edited:
One of the prettiest American cars ever built. The interior is certainly spartan by today's standards, but still nice.

I was never a Camaro fan....just didn't dig the body style.

That being said, though....that is a beautiful example.

Back