The end of it all

MonkeyZero

Mexican Mayonnaise Weiner Sandwich
I have been fighting reflux for years and last night I made a delicious plate of creamy grits topped with bacon, andouille, and shrimp in a cajun tomato gravy.
This morning I woke up choking on acid followed by throwing up blood.
Went to the ER.
No more spicy, beer, liquor, energy drinks, coffee, or tomatoes.
Someone kill me now. :(

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I have been fighting reflux for years and last night I made a delicious plate of creamy grits topped with bacon, andouille, and shrimp in a cajun tomato gravy.
This morning I woke up choking on acid followed by throwing up blood.
Went to the ER.
No more spicy, beer, liquor, energy drinks, coffee, or tomatoes.
Someone kill me now. :(

I'll do the drinking for ya. Who gonna chow on da spicy food?

That stinks. Is it only for a short period of time, or is this the new normal?
I'm hoping it's not forever but I definitely have to give my insides time to heal. Doctor said the scope didn't look terrible but that I'm right on the cusp of it being really bad if I don't back off.
He said we'll do another scope in 6 months if I can take it easy that long.
This sucks.
I honestly can't decide what I'm dreading giving up the most. Coffee and spicy are a huge part of my intake and enjoyment.

That sounds awful. My sincere sympathies. :(

I know exactly what you mean by "choking on acid." Not fun. I have to be really careful about not indulging too late in the day.

What's the actual diagnosis?
Or do they have one yet? (Probably not). They're probably going to send you to a gastrointerologist who will then likely order a trans-esophogeal scope (easy procedure, you go night night with propofol and wake up giddy and stupid).

If you've battled reflux for a while without proper treatment, it can cause pretty severe damage to the esophagus. What's worse, is that the damage in turn, weakens the muscle that controls the "flap" that is supposed to keep the acid from rising into your esophagus. It's a vicious cycle because that weakness leads to more reflux, which leads to more damage.

I've had it my whole life, but with the right meds (Prevacid, Prilosec etc) it's not an issue at all. As long as I stay on it, I can drink fire and not get heartburn.

One day without it... bad news.

The good news is that the damage is usually reversible pretty quickly once you start treatment.

I'm hoping it's not forever but I definitely have to give my insides time to heal. Doctor said the scope didn't look terrible but that I'm right on the cusp of it being really bad if I don't back off.
He said we'll do another scope in 6 months if I can take it easy that long.
This sucks.
I honestly can't decide what I'm dreading giving up the most. Coffee and spicy are a huge part of my intake and enjoyment.

I didn't throw up blood, but I did go through a gastro thing a few years ago where I couldn't have anything that tasted good. No coffee, no spicy, no nothing. I had a headache for a month.

Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.

The diagnosis from my original scope was that the flap was weak and causing the reflux. I've been on nexium 40mg daily for 2 years. One day without and I was dying. The thing that scared me on this one is that I haven't missed a day recently.
Doc said my meal with concentrated tomato acid and Guinness was just too much this time.
No Barrett's esophagus at this time. I think backing off for a good while will help the healing.
My drinking has increased over the last year so that's not helping.
I never get drunk. Haven't in a long time. But I love a glass of bourbon and/or a beer at night and over time it just eats away at everything down there. Between that and my obsession with habanero and hotter it's just been building.
Honestly I saw it coming but am too in love with food and drink to care until yesterday.

Howie, the headache is here in full force. Great.

This too shall pass.

Reactions: OGG
Back