The Doobie Bros

Steverino

black sheep
Been rediscovering these guys the past week. I missed this one along the way. What fantastic bass work.

I actually prefer their pre- McDonald material...Tom Johnston is a very underrated song writer and performer...plus I prefer their more straight ahead rock/country rock feel to the jazzier McDonald style...

And yeah, Tyrone Porter was a MONSTER bass player...:thu:

Caught them live a couple weeks ago and it was a great show! The interplay between the various musicians, specifically Johnston & Simmons, was incredibly tight, musically, and groovetastic.

Definitely not a bunch of old roaches.

I actually think these guys don't get the credit they deserve, and Johnston & Simmons are woefully underrated musicians.

I've been trying to learn 'Long Train Running' recently. I have the chords down, I just can't get the feeling down. I just can't seem to get my arm/wrist loose enough to do some of those funky type songs :(

There was a long stretch in my childhood where my parents left the best of the Doobie Brothers in the 8 track in our van. I have always liked them, plus they were on What's Happening, so how could you not like them.

Love the Doobies. I saw them a number of times around the Bay Area and was even at Stanford when they donated a beautiful children's park to the hospital. Liked the Tom Johnson/Patrick Simmons stuff best, but liked the later era stuff as well. 'Busted Down Around O'Connelly Corners' is still one of my favorite acoustic pieces.

I actually prefer their pre- McDonald material...Tom Johnston is a very underrated song writer and performer...plus I prefer their more straight ahead rock/country rock feel to the jazzier McDonald style...

And yeah, Tyrone Porter was a MONSTER bass player...:thu:

There is that word again...Underrated. Sorry I just don't get the term and who is he being compared too.

Johnston is a good songwriter.

Kind of the opposite here - love the McDonald/Skunk Baxter stuff, meh on the straight ahead rock/country rock feel.

Some of their stuff is like the sound of my childhood - I grew up with that playing the background as I rode around in my parents car while going on vacations and whatnot.

My wife actually surprised me wit Doobie Bros. tickets when we were dating. I've liked them ever since.

My wife saw them before we met; all she says is they were too loud. idn_smilie

I like both versions myself. But I am a Michael McDonald Fan. munch0

I liked them through the first couple of releases with McDonald, but not so much once he started writing as lot and changing the style. McFee is a pretty good guitar player as well (Baxter's replacement).

Back